[Request]Add some more options from TweakUi

Alienator

Then show me where they are ? I'am not blind ! There is no options like from TweakUi

Command Prompt

Templates

My Computer\Special Folders

Desktop\First Icon !!!

Explorer\Command Keys

Yes Nlite not covered all the options from TweakUI but you can find a huge list in the section of " Tweak options."

Edited by hungry-SHEll

nLite supports Windows 2000, XP x86/x64 and 2003 x86/x64 in all languages.

If you´re not blind, why do you ask for tweaks for Windows 95 ? ;)

Like hungry-SHEll already said, you can find most of them in the tweaks section.

Could you please be more specific about :

Desktop\First Icon !!!

Agi

If you´re not blind, why do you ask for tweaks for Windows 95 ? ;)

I see that you miss the point - that missing features is NOT Win95 only ! Location of special folder is VERY IMPORTANT to people !

Like hungry-SHEll already said, you can find most of them in the tweaks section.

Most of them ? YES BUT NOT ALL ! so we have ANOTHER 123123213 clicks after install windows !

Could you please be more specific about :

Desktop\First Icon !!!

I'm not here to teach you think, do you even run TweakUi ???

As far as my research shows, desktop/first icon is not an easy task to accomplish. As regards Nlite, although it has that option, it has never succeeded to enforce it properly and I suspect, like some other tweaks in nlite, that windows' dlls stick their fingers after installation and revert the values when they resvr32 themselves. In any case, good luck implementing the tweak after the desktop has been shown and icon positions remembered (one possible exception being if you set desktop to 'auto arrange', but I think it still needs to be done before displaying the desktop).

The tweak itself (and I don't know how exactly is implemented in nlite) is a classical case of the Internet's "heard it through the grapevine", i.e. blindly copy/pasting a text that was read who knows where and whose origin has been long lost. No explanation why or citing sources, just the same text everywhere!

It involves a registry entry "SortOrderIndex" that is applied to Windows' so-called Shell Folders (My computer, My documents, etc.), each one represented in it's own CLSID (a number, identification tag for Windows objects - there are far more of them than Shell Folders). There are a couple of them already defined on a virgin Windows installation (and the tweak circulating on the Internet involves changing one of them) but I strongly suspect that Windows enumerates all of them and decides the order of display. I've verified this using Regmon and indeed, several other Shell Folders are queried for the presence of SortOrderIndex registry entry (Network connections, Recycle bin). The consequence of this would be a nice tweak for arranging all Windows' "virtual folders" on the Desktop (except those NONENUMerated - nudge nudge, wink wink ;) ), but alas, nobody actually bothered. And this would be perfect for those who do unattended, but nevertheles, I still think this is useless for me because it has to be done:

1. before displaying the desktop for the first time and

2. setting it to "auto arrange".

So If anybody feels he's up to the task, be my guest.

GL

*Edit* Since I'm here, let me touch some of the other things:

My Computer\Special Folders:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\

Add/delete items at will under this registry key and they will appear/dissapear when you browse My Computer. (Item = CLSID of the special folder. You can find a list easily on the Internet).

**another edit** I fired up TweakUI and now I see i was talking about "My Copmuter Icons". You want to change the location of special folders. Although I strongly advise against that, they can by found in BOTH:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

AND

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

(BOTH meaning that if you change them, you need to do it simultaneously. And, at the second location, they should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type - expandable string - populated partly with unexpanded environment variables - when you see it, you'll know what I'm talking about :) )

Command Prompt:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console

It's under that key. What do you want to change exactly? And for all users, try also (very carefully, it can break stuff):

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Console

Templates:

Search the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch for the string "ShellNew" and it'll become clearer. No easy way to change all of them without knowing what's installed on that particular machine. Programs install things at will (often unnecessary). Maybe you could try manipulating only the known entries of a virgin Windows installation.

Explorer\Command Keys:

is under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

and then some numbers. Look up on a working Windows and it'll become clearer.

Hope this helps.

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

@Alienator

Didn´t mean to be offensive, if I was, I apologize.

Yes, I used to integrate the TweakUI addon into my nlite CDs, up to the time, when all tweaks, that are important to me, were working fine in nlite.

So it´s not installed on my PC anymore.

Also there were some stability problems, after checking some tweaks in TweakUI.

Seems, that I mixed up some options, ´cause I´m not using the english versions of nlite, Windows and TweakUI.

That´s why I thought, they were W95 specific.

@GrofLuigi

Thanks for the explanation !

Agi

at this point i think that nlite allready supports to many (tweaks)

i would even go so far to say that ALL tweaks that do not specially relate to the Install Level of windows SHOULD NOT be there at all,

for a small example,

: define windir (YES)

: Auto logon - (maybe - but probably yes),

: hide my computer from desktop (definetly NO)

why i say this, at some point it gets impossible to add them all, and at some point it should no longer be nuhi's job to track them and ad a shell around them ...

i think that all those guys that have those kinds of websites with sometimes as mutch as a thousant of batch files and regfiles etc - to start finding a way into 1 simple aplication that can, add them all into a simple UI, (kinda like tweekui) ... but the output file should be 1 massive Batch file executiong register changes file moves - etc etc etc....

than its up to the end user to exec it right here on the pc) ... intergrate it on first run (nlite?) ... or send it to his friends.... or whatever it is he wants with it...

that way we could ALL be happy....

@-I-

Completely agree with you !

There are no useful tweaks for W2K left, that have not been implemented into nlite already.

Even tweakuiuiui warns about risking systemstability, if some are applied (e.g. removing network from desktop).

But I have to disagree with :

hide my computer from desktop (definetly NO)

Nuhi fixed the problem in the 1.4b, so I don´t mind if the icon is gone from desktop, now that "my computer" is still accessible via the startmenu without the icon and shows up in the other menus as well.

When I started to use nlite, I couldn´t use any desktoptweaks at all, so I grabbed them from the german-nlite.de regtweak section, winhelpline, winfuture and other pages and applied them via nlite.

If somebody needs some "hardcoretweaks", he should do the same.

Agi