Fans still working after shutdown, PC won't power down

Messerschmitt

I am running XP

E6600

2Gb Corsair 800mhz

XFX 8600 GTS Extreme

Mobo: Gigabyte P35 DS3R

When I shut down the fans, PSU, CPU Fan, Fan LEDs are still running, so the power just won't cut off.

Before this, I had the "windows is shutting down" mesasge freeze as well on shutdown but it got away after I installed XFX video card drivers.

Another thing that I am afraid is that this might actualy be hardware? I mean I went to q-flash, and I used the F10 for shutdown in bios. When I do that, it shuts itself down but in 1-2 seconds it starts all up by itself.

Even tryed this: immidiately after it shuts down after I press F10 I shut down the PSU from the back button (from I to O), and amaizingly it STARTS UP for a very brief second then it shuts down.

Is this PSU problem?

Edited by Messerschmitt

if you're getting a screen like "You can now shut off your computer" or something like that, then just push the power button, and it should all turn of, no problem. many older computers were like this, such as Compaqs, and my old server is exactly the same.

I had the windows shut down image freeze all the time since I assembled this rig and I had both windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP2 x64.

But I no longer have the freeze after I installed the video card drivers.

However now, windows shuts down but the comuputer will not power off.

In bios there is no autostart option.

if you're getting a screen like "You can now shut off your computer" or something like that, then just push the power button, and it should all turn of, no problem. many older computers were like this, such as Compaqs, and my old server is exactly the same.

my dads comp did this when i installed xp (no SP) on it. then i installed SP2 and it didnt give that message anymore..

I had the windows shut down image freeze all the time since I assembled this rig and I had both windows XP SP1, SP2 and SP2 x64.

But I no longer have the freeze after I installed the video card drivers.

However now, windows shuts down but the comuputer will not power off.

In bios there is no autostart option.

very strange. try updating every driver that you can, expecially your mobo drivers.

I rekon I only installed the chipset which came with the CD, so I will try update it with the newer one in the gigabyte site.

And I don't get such a message. Windows effectevely shuts down, monitor turns off but the computer still runs power. Ethernet onboard LED is off as well, but fan LED, and fans/PSU fan are still running. No idea what else might still be active.

I found on internet about "Right click my computer - Properties- Hardware- Device Manager, Click View at the top and click show hidden devices, Double click NT Amp/Legacy support it should have a red cross on it , Enable it and your pc should now shut down properly"

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...t-turn-off.html

But I do not have anything such as NT AMP.

Update: I have tried hibernate. It does the same thing it does when you shut it down in bios by pressing F10 when you are in Q-Flash. It starts hibernating, it shuts down, (Fans, LED's, etc) but in 1-2 seconds it starts up by itself again

Edited by Messerschmitt

just wondering, what happens when you press the power button to start it up again?

also try updating your BIOS. it sounds like windows isnt communicating with the BIOS correctly.

do the fans ever turn off, after an hr or anything?

Edited by ripken204

SP2 removed a lot, i dunno if it'll show the shutdown messege.

it has to do with ACPI unless i'm mistaken, you can't disable it. to turn off the computer, you need to push the power button...nothing you can do about it.

i had the same problem with vista doing that... but it turned up being the crappy nvidia graphic drivers... on about 11 different systems after the first install and then it was raid drivers on 3 of the the intel boards i put in... finally got got some updated drivers a month later and was able to sell the rigs but i know your dealing with a different os so i wish you luck.... cause anything could cause that problem , mb , memory , psu... i even had a dvd burn trying to hang at shutdown and cause the weird problem

good luck

Check under device manager, under the "Computer" tree to see what HAL is installed. It should say something like "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

Check to see in BIOS if there are any auto-start or power resume modes. For example, I can set my computers to return to their previous power state in the event of a power loss. If the power goes out while I'm using the computer, it will automatically start up again when the power returns. Try looking for that option in BIOS.

Alternatively, for your sake and everyone else's, try clearing the BIOS completely.

Hi,

I don't have a Wake on LAN in BIOS.

Also I don't have any autostart or resume modes.

Actualy all I have in BIOS is

ACPI Suspend type which I can choose between S3(STR) and S1(POS), I tried both, no difference.

USB device wake-up, which I dissembled,

PME Event Wake up which I dissembled

Power on by Ring which I dissembled

Resume by alarm which I dissembled

HPET support which is dissembled

Power on by mouse/keyboard which is dissembled.

In windows under Computer tree, only thing there is ACPI Multiprocessor PC.

Make sure that you install the latest intel chipset drivers. APM and ACPI functions are controlled through system drivers which are installed as part of the chipset drivers. Make sure that APM or ACPI is enabled in the BIOS as well as making sure that it's enabled in the Power Management section of the Windows control panel.