Overheating...

KamiQuazi

I have a 2 year old board and now the stock HSF has died. Its cause instability of the whole system with random shutdowns. What would be some suggestions for the board? A tip, the northbridge on this board is known for being rather hot.

Thanks in advanced,

LICS2k7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0&Tpk=vc-re

not sure if this will fit, but its a great heatsink/fan

edit: this one won't fit.

a cheap one would be this.. not sure how good it is tho but it should get the job done

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835103015

Edited by ripken204

well, you really shouldnt be running it without a fan to cool the heatsink..an overheating CPU can cause more problems than just instability.

what died, the CPU fan or the northbridge cooler?

if its the CPU fan, what socket is it?

@LICS - He might have thought CPU because your first posts didn't indicate the NB. You just said "board".

Anyways - I'd recommend something a little larger than what ripken is suggesting if you can. Zalman makes a few passive heatsinks that are quite good. My Abit NF7-S board's northbridge runs cooler with a passive NB47J heatsink than it did with the stock cooler. Zalman has a newer version - the NBF47 - which works a bit better than the NB47J due to the wider spaced fins.

@Zxian, I just got upset because its been a hard day at work and im mad lol. But its in the topic. Can you provide a link for the Zalman HSF? It would be appricated. I'm off to work again. But ill be back by the afternoon.

I wonder why you like to have a 8000rpm 4cm fan... Any good reason?

well it also depends on airflow. alot of cases a passive heatsink is pointelss b/c most ppl have horrible airflow, therefore they need a fan directly on the heatsink. but the zalman one i had worked great, but it gets in the way of the video card..