NLite: W2K Installation hangs up when saving settings

Thilo

Well... I see I'm not alone with this problem... that's a comforting feeling, at least.

Here's my story. Windows 2000 Server SP2. I first tried with the beta, and experienced the hanging at Saving Settings-problem.. Then it was updated to the latest RC2 so I tried that version, same problem.

I spent a full weekend trying to narrow down the cause of the problem, changing a setting at a time, reinstalling (in Virtual PC 2004) again and again and again.. slowly but surely losing my sanity...

I never touched the Network DDE service btw.

But I created a working cd, then changed one , two or three more settings, created another working cd and so on. All was going well, and then BAM.. hanging at saving settings.

So I just recovered the previous cd that I knew was working and decided to label that one "final" and just go with that one... but then what do you know.. hanged at Saving Settings...

So I recovered the cd I made before that one.. and it hanged at Saving Settings... even though it worked then I tried it before!!

So I recovered a very early cd with very few changes, just a few applications removed (Paint etc) and the bonus folders (VALUEADD, BOOTDISK etc).. and hey, it hanged at Saving Settings.

So I just decided it was completely random and gave up.

Is there any point in trying the final version of nLite, is any fix in that one?

Best regards,

a desperate Nebol.

beaglebc, I tried your preset and it didn't hang. BUT I didn't put your addons meaning it must be one or more of them.

If you find which it is, easily by virtual testing few times, I'll try it gladly.

Or if that is hard for you then at least provide me with the links to download all those addons.

Thanks, I will try to isolate the issue. I get my addons mostly from winaddons.com.

Perhaps in my case it has to do with an addon or the unofficial SP5 from Majorgeeks :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4817.html

I unziped this file and integrated through "Service Pack". Perhaps I will try the official SP4 and see what happens.

Edited by beaglebc

So far nLite v1.4 do the job on installing Windows 2000 and it works flawlessly. I have a good vibration that this version of nLite the v1.4 is the one will do the perfect job! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Oh by the way Im still trying to test it on my other test computers I hope I hit the jackpot. :blink:

according to your preset, you removed network dde

from preset:

;# Services #

Alerter

Beep Driver

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Error Reporting

Fax Service

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

Indexing Service

Messenger

Network DDE

Performance Logs and Alerts

Remote Registry

Removable Storage

Edited by legolash2o

Wow, you're right. My mistake.

I went back and tried 1.4 again without Network DDE removed, and it hung.

Wiped the source directory, recopied off the CD. Uninstalled nlite 1.4, installed 1.35 (for the second time today), and redid the process. This time it worked!

So, I guess it's just something in 1.4?