<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Routers<!-- google

Really, I feel I am asking so many questions but I have another one :)

As I am getting my second computer I will need a router for them.

Now, I want some sugestion about it.

I also need to get a landline and I checked out vonage (i'm in canada) and you know that they also offer those type of routers where you plug the phones but also the computers.

Should I get the:

Motorola VT2442 which ends up at 45$

or

Just get a cheap router such as: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ufacture=D-Link for 45$

Asking this because if it's better to get a normal router such as the one from the NCIX then I can just get their (vonage) free router thing only for the phones, etc. By better I mean performance wise, security, etc.

Personaly I would think that the dedicated router such as the D-Link DI-604 would be better but I really want your opinion.

Thanks, again :)

hoonestly it depends on what you will use them for, like all of the features. WRT54GL has definatly proven itself.

i have VT2442(Vonage) and it's good for what i need it for, it's just a litte un-userfriendly with its interface but everything that i've needed to get done i've gotten done.

It's a question of how much control you want over your network. Certain applications will work better with some minor configuration, but whether or not you want to deal with that is up to you.

The option of whether or not you can deal with those settings depends on the router you buy. I would also recommend the WRT54GL, but flashed with the Thibor or Tomato firmware. It's got options galore and I have absolutely no complaints.

If you catch it on sale, the WRT54GL also rings in at about $45 before tax and shipping.

oh, well actualy I was just looking for connectivity for my computers, meaning that all my computers will be connected to internet

I never had a router so at the moment i'm totaly blank how you set it up but if I buy it I will do research.

By the way those wireless routers, you can still use normal ethernet cables for connection right? Unless I will buy a laptop as well there is not point it wireless, it's teh yuk with so many lost pakets or high latency

It has 4 10/100 ports that you can use with X-link UTP cables or normal UTP cables (CAT 5 will be okay). You can disable the wireless part from the router.

LinkSYS is a part of CISCO systems for some time now, altrough the WRT54GL is engineerd by LinkSYS.

get the WRT54GL

from wiki:

Linksys released the WRT54GL in 2005 to support third-party firmware based on Linux, after the original WRT54G line was switched from Linux to VxWorks, starting with version 5.
Edited by ripken204

Oh but the WRT54G also uses 3rd party firmware. A friend of mine got it.

And I'l never use linux

Wait wait wait. This is a big confusion amongst many people. It's not that your computer will use Linux, it's that the router uses linux as a base for it's firmware. There are many people out there who have taken the base Linux firmware and modified it to expand on it's capabilities. It allows you to take a simple $50 device and turn it into something that's much more powerful.

And the "third party firmware" for the WRT54G (not GL) is severly limited. The hardware on the v5 and v6 G routers has been stripped down compared to the GL model.

When we all say you want the GL, you want the GL. ;)