WU complaining about 935448

glentium

I checked the version of hhctrl.ocx in my SOURCESS folder by expanding it, it's 5.2.3790.2847

...which is the same file version that's included in KB928843. Is there any way to keep the file from KB935448 if both updates are included?

the_guy

...which is the same file version that's included in KB928843. Is there any way to keep the file from KB935448 if both updates are included?
The file in KB935448 has a newer date on it (April 2nd vs Jan 23rd) so HFSLIP should pick up the one you want. It isn't doing that?
wu needs all the registry entries from this update....look in the hotfix inf for those......
HFSLIP makes Windows setup install the [Product.Add.Reg] section. I don't see any other registry additions.

I just tested this in a VM and everything seems to be fine. Windows Update is not complaining and all registry entries are correct.

Glentium -- Do you have a Realtek High Definition chip?

Edited by Tomcat76

I checked the hhctrl.ocx installed in SYSTEM32 and DLLCACHE, both are version 5.2.3790.2847,

Realtek drivers does not even contain hhctrl.ocx file, though i am not 100% sure as i can't extract data1.cab and data2.cab included in the Realtek driver package.

I'm still clueless as to why WU is complaining about this.

Tried installing KB935448 through SVCPACK method (all others are HFSLIPed) and, as should be expected, no complains from WU. checked the installed hhctrl.ocx with the installed one if HFSLIPed, and they are exactly the same.

Maybe I can safely ignore WU as I'm sure I have the correct hhctrl.ocx and I do have the latest Realtek drivers (1.65) which is not affected by the problem as mentioned in the KB article...

Still haven't had access to a machine with a Realtek chip, I'm afraid. The only thing I can do is install the hotfix manually somewhere and check if anything is done under the hood (like with IE7). I'll be back...