Boot Usb

MadnessHero

So it's just a shell, not even a bootable OS. IMHO definitely not worth paying *anything* for that.

Uh, yes it is. I've tried it. Maybe you should try something before stating it is something it isn't. It installs directly to USB, uses it's own registry.

So it's just a shell, not even a bootable OS. IMHO definitely not worth paying *anything* for that.

Uh, yes it is. I've tried it. Maybe you should try something before stating it is something it isn't. It installs directly to USB, uses it's own registry.

the Host PC will keep running as it was before the connection. You don't need to change the Host PC's settings, install anything on it, or close any of the applications that were running on it. Even more importantly, you can go back and forth between your MojoPac PC view and your Host PC view - you can work on both PCs at the same time, and operate both environments simultaneously.
Does that sound like it boots from the USB drive? More succinctly, can you boot e.g. Windows XP from a USB drive and keep Windows 2000 running on the same machine at the same time? Edited by LLXX

Uh, yes it is. I've tried it.

With all due respect, could you actually boot from the stick? :w00t:

The Mojopac installer simply creates on the stick a tree of directories, including a "Program Files" one, a "WINDOWS" one, a "Documents and Settings" one and a "temp" one, then puts on the root of it an executable, called "start.exe" and an autorun.inf with this contents:

[autorun]
action=Run MojoPac
icon=.\progra~1\ringth~1\bin\RingOS.ico
open=.\Start.exe
label=MojoPac

here is a dir /S /B of the structure created:

W:\Program Files\Common Files
W:\Program Files\INTERNET EXPLORER
W:\Program Files\temp.txt
W:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared
W:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC
W:\Program Files\Common Files\system
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO\dao360.dll
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\advpack.dll
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\dasetup.exe
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\dasetup.inf
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\dasetup.ini
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\dasetupr.dll
W:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\dasetup\rspfiles.inf
W:\Program Files\Common Files\ODBC\Data Sources
W:\Program Files\Common Files\system\msmapi
W:\Program Files\Common Files\system\OLE DB
W:\Program Files\INTERNET EXPLORER\MUI
W:\Program Files\INTERNET EXPLORER\MUI\0409
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config
W:\Program Files\RingThree\hives
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Stage
W:\Program Files\RingThree\thirdparties
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\MojoPac.chm
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\MojoPac.url
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\Preconfig.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\PVM.sys
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\Reconfig.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\RingOS.ico
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\ringthree.ini
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\RingThreeMainWin32.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\RingThreeSynchronizer.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\SafeRestore.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\bin\SendError.exe
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileExceptionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileExceptionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileInclusionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileInclusionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\FileUnBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\KernelObjectTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\r3root.bin
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\RegBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\RegExceptionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\RegExceptionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\RegInclusionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\RegInclusionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileExceptionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileExceptionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileInclusionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileInclusionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\FileUnBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\KernelObjectTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\r3root.bin
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\RegBlockedTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\RegExceptionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\RegExceptionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\RegInclusionTable.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Config\LastKnownGood\RegInclusionTable_orig.txt
W:\Program Files\RingThree\hives\backups
W:\Program Files\RingThree\hives\ringthree.hive
W:\Program Files\RingThree\hives\backups\ringthree.hive
W:\Program Files\RingThree\Stage\applied
W:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY
W:\WINDOWS\FONTS
W:\WINDOWS\INF
W:\WINDOWS\Installer
W:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET
W:\WINDOWS\ODBC.INI
W:\WINDOWS\ODBCINST.INI
W:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH
W:\WINDOWS\resources
W:\WINDOWS\SHELLNEW
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
W:\WINDOWS\temp
W:\WINDOWS\temp.txt
W:\WINDOWS\web
W:\WINDOWS\WINSXS
W:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\GAC
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Luna
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Luna\Shell
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\Homestead
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\Metallic
W:\WINDOWS\resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\NormalColor
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CATROOT2
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DIRECTX
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MUI
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\hosts
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\networks
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\protocol
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\services
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MUI\0409
W:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REPOSITORY
W:\WINDOWS\web\wallpaper
W:\WINDOWS\web\wallpaper\mojopac_wallpaper.jpg
W:\WINDOWS\WINSXS\MANIFESTS
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users
W:\Documents and Settings\temp.txt
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\sharedaccess.ini
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\guest.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\airplane.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\astronaut.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\ball.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\beach.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\butterfly.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\car.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\cat.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\chess.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\dirt bike.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\dog.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\drip.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\duck.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\fish.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\frog.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\guitar.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\horses.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\kick.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\lift-off.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\palm tree.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\pink flower.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\red flower.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\skater.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\snowflake.bmp
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\House.JPG
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Marmot.JPG
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Mountains.JPG
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Sample Pictures\Sunset.JPG
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Set Program Access and Defaults.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Windows Catalog.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Messenger.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Calculator.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Communications
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Paint.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\WordPad.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Communications\HyperTerminal.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Sound Recorder.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Entertainment\Volume Control.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Character Map.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Component Services.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer Management.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Data Sources (ODBC).lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Performance.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Services.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Freecell.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Hearts.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Internet Backgammon.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Internet Checkers.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Internet Hearts.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Internet Reversi.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Internet Spades.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Minesweeper.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Pinball.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Solitaire.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Spider Solitaire.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\brndlog.txt
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies\index.dat
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop\MojoPac MustRead.txt
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop\MojoPac Release Notes.txt
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop\xfire_installer.exe
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\mojopac_wallpaper.jpg
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo\Compressed (zipped) Folder.ZFSendToTarget
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo\Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo\Mail Recipient.MAPIMail
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Assistance.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Program Compatibility Wizard.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Synchronize.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Tour Windows XP.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Windows Explorer.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Magnifier.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Narrator.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\On-Screen Keyboard.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Utility Manager.lnk
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\amipro.sam
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\excel.xls
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\excel4.xls
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\lotus.wk4
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\powerpnt.ppt
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\presenta.shw
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\quattro.wb2
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\sndrec.wav
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\winword.doc
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\winword2.doc
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\wordpfct.wpd
W:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\wordpfct.wpg
W:\temp

When you insert the stick into an XP computer, the autorun.inf invokes "start.exe" that calls some dependent program (in the RingThree subdir) and opens a full screen window, replicating a windows desktop.

There are nice features to copy to the stick files, syncronize contents with desktop, add shortcuts to apps installed, and many more, generally conveying the "feeling" to be working from an Operating System that remains the same when taken to another PC.

As said in the linked thread on the 911CD forum the whole bunch is a NICE and CLEVER (in my view) app, that helps a lot non-techies to have a portable system, you may not agree with my definition of "SHELL" or "VIRTUAL DESKTOP", but definitely it is NOT an Operating System.

jaclaz

Sorry about that, jaclaz and LLXX. Misundestanding there. My apologies. :blushing:
Well it did feel like a bootable OS to you, so I guess their strategy was successful for you, but we weren't so easily fooled :lol::) Edited by LLXX

Sorry about that, jaclaz and LLXX. Misundestanding there. My apologies. :blushing:

Well it did feel like a bootable OS to you, so I guess their strategy was successful for you, but we weren't so easily fooled :lol::)

My misunderstanding was within the topic, not something I read on their website. Actually, I haven't read anything on their website. I read info on GRC.com. I wasn't fooled by anyone. And just for the record, I am not the kind of person to fall victim to false advertising or mass media influence. I don't listen to the radio or watch TV (too many utterly stupid... *curses and swears*... commercials). I did my part in apolozing, there's no need for you to insult my intelligence.