HFSLIP in Add/Remove Programs?

tadc

hi friends... probably a dumb question but: I have just used HFSLIP to slipstream all of the updates into win2k3 and I now see "HFSLIP Total Slipstream" in the Add/Remove Programs, as well as "HFSLIP OTHER" in Windows Components. My question is why? If the patches have been slipsstreamed, shouldn't both of those be unnecessary? Or are they for the "extra" bits of HFSLIP that I haven't delved into yet? What will happen if I remove them?

Thanks for your help!

Tad

hi!

that is a very good indication that HFSLIP did its job! :)

i tried removing it once (in VMWare though) but nothing negative happened ... still the same i guess ... i will re-check again ...

but i'm sure by the time i do, there would already be replies to your inquiry :)

Thanks! One problem though-

So I went into Add/Remove and Windows Components, and I deselected HFSLIP OTHER, clicked okay... it went through the usual sequence of events, and apparently completed successfully... but when I looked again HFSLIP OTHER was still there and still checked!

Anything that can be done about that?

Thanks!

I'd say leaving HFSLIP entry in Add/Remove Programs is a recognition and a show of appreciation for those behind HFSLIP.

It's like everytime you go into Add/Remove Programs.. you'd say "Thank goodness, HFSLIP!"

...just my personal preference... :)

I'd say leaving HFSLIP entry in Add/Remove Programs is a recognition and a show of appreciation for those behind HFSLIP.

It's like everytime you go into Add/Remove Programs.. you'd say "Thank goodness, HFSLIP!"

same here!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply here, been busy...(and stopped getting the reply notification emails)

Thanks for the replies. To answer the question above, the reason I want to remove it from Add/Remove is to keep any "security minded" individuals from panicking about "unapproved software" being installed.

You can do whatever you like, but I strongly advise against editing SYSOC.INF. Removing the entry for HFSLIPWU.INF will cause that file to not be processed, which is responsible for a whole lot more than just the "HFSLIP Total Slipstream" entry in Add/Remove Programs. It handles the registration of all the hotfixes you slipstreamed, WMP, DirectX9, codecs, things you cleaned up, etc.

Either edit HFSLIPWU.INF, or use a .reg file that deletes the registry key responsible for the entry in Add/Remove Programs.

To answer the question above, the reason I want to remove it from Add/Remove is to keep any "security minded" individuals from panicking about "unapproved software" being installed.

tadc - Sounds like you are using this for a corporate thing and not personal use. Thanks for your support.

Well, I'm in a not-for-profit organization. So, I don't really use HFSLIP for any commercial purpose. I do use it on my machines instead of using the restore CDs from hp. So when I troubleshoot some of the machines from users I support, i do the same. That is, use an HFSLIPed CD.

If TommyP and GNU/GPL does not allow me to use HFSLIP in such a setting, I guess I'll just go back to the old SVCPACK method... :(

Edited by glentium

If TommyP and GNU/GPL does not allow me to use HFSLIP in such a setting, I guess I'll just go back to the old SVCPACK method... :(
Hopefully tommyp will comment on that. I'm not sure if it is OK to use at a non-profit.

The GPL doesn't restrict personal vs. commercial usage.