Unattended - Assigning different XP CD Keys

Hi!

In one of our offices I have made up different unattended install CD's for different machines depending on software required ect.

I have used enuff said's method of naming the coms via MAC address (thanking you kindly)

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=17521

These coms are using the MS Action packs which have 2 different keys and can be installed 5 times

So I am wanting to assign a key to a specified machine.

Is this possible using a simiilar method above, or via the reg at some point?

Just want to know what are my options are.

Thx

how does the serial get entered in your environment?

if it's by a registry entry, though I don't know how.....

but if it is....

in the same file you could do something like......

IF %MAC% == 123456789012 GOTO COMP1IF %MAC% == ABCDEFGHIJKL GOTO COMP2
:COMP1compname /c SCRAPHEAPregedt32 /s regfile.regGOTO END
:COMP2compname /c SANDBOXregedit32 /s regfile.regGOTO END
:END

and so on, and divi it up that way

Basically I have had to make 5 or so CD"s all with diff CD keys

No I dont use a reg file to enter them, its just written in the winnt.sif atm.

this is the only thing stopping me from neeeding more than 1 disc atm.

I can always change the CD key key post install, but thats more attended than i would like :)

I've never even attempted to install the MS Action packs, don't even know where to get them.

But their serial is given by the winnt.sif or is it the XP cdkey that needs changing?

what you MAY want to do, as a work around, is create a sort of multiboot but only for the purpost of the boot folders.

OR....even easier.....

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...winnt.sif"

The difference of the action pack is that the keys enterered need to be activated online and those keys can be activated a number of times.

Once you have registered them the max amount of times, you need to start ringing microsoft and get the keys reset, then you can start reinstalling them again

what i essentially need to do is:

Have 1 CD

depending on MAC address names the computer

gives that specific MAC address one of the CD keys (so that user will always get that key when i reinstall)

Adds computer to Active Directory

Joins computer to the Domain

Im just missing the Assiging CD key entry, being an action pack makes no difference in this case, just want to assign specific Keys to coms

I could look at the boot options but seems a little messy for what i am wanting to do.

But thx for the replies :)

I was just reading through this post and thought of another way to do this, you will need windows PE though, you could write a simple batch file to get the MAC of the machine at WinPE load, since you are using the CD you can kill the network bat's that run, then call the winnt32.exe with each pc's unattend.txt this could make it totaly unattended. I will try to look into this this weekend and let you know.

As far as retail (including Action Pack subscription) and OEM distributions go, Microsoft has a great published way to automate the product key and subsequent activation hassle. The methods below do not apply to volume license or evaluation copies of Windows XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...oy/wpadepl.mspx

They also provide you with generic product keys you can use on all your CD's without fear of your personal keys getting out in case the CD is misplaced/lost/stolen. The idea is that you use these generic keys in your unattend.txt/winnt.sif file and then use the script within 30 days to update the Windows install with your own real key.

For the lazy, the following is the Microsoft published list of product keys you are free to redistribute or use in your unattended CD's. All of these keys are blocked at the activation clearinghouse and are not eligible for activation. Also please remember that the availability of these product keys in no way extends or modifies your license agreement and you still need a legitimate license for all software you use, 30 day grace period notwithstanding.

Applicability                                  Product Key                    Sequence Number 
Whistler Tech Beta Program (All Platforms)     PXRQ3-7VPMV-CQWXR-8Y4KX-RD786  010053298Windows XP Home Edition Full product           JKTVX-HCRXC-J2YC9-MX3K4-G9X26  005037750Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade                C84VB-JYVFD-P7HF4-6KKRJ-7M6XH  010000182Windows XP Professional Full product           DR8GV-C8V6J-BYXHG-7PYJR-DB66Y  005072760Windows XP Professional Upgrade                FKTW8-Q7MJ7-JK6GW-9J9RV-HC3C2  010000212Windows XP Home Edition System Builder (Full)  KGVXT-F9HVW-XGW9X-QVYVX-HQ9RD  120000613Windows XP Professional System Builder (Full)  TTGHK-3RC33-BT9DR-3BVYV-BTQ98  120000607

Basically for a home/power/corporate user with more than one Windows XP key and/or computer, use the script at the bottom of the page (WPA_Automation.vbs) to update the product key and activate the machine all in one fell swoop. You'll need to write a function GetProductKey() that will retrieve (your own) appropriate key but the script does the rest of the work.

What is the ms action pack?

The MS Action pack is a cheap way to get a lot of licenses for companies that are starting out in development phase :)

An action pack includes pretty much all of MS OS's and Software they have produced and you get limited licenses of each.

Its now limited to one action pack per company used to be 2, but there are ways around this (split your business into departments, each is a company in its own right like we do :rolleyes: )

None of the licenses from the action packs that are in use, can be in production thou. ie making you money)

Basically in my situation, they are used for desktop OS's our domain controllers and for test bed scenarios

the best part about them thou, is i get to play with everything they have.

Its a good way to good a grasp on what MS have to offer, but in most situations i prefer Unix and will use their products if I can.

baliktad - thanks for the info aswell, nice find :D