Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

This post is no longer being used but should be kept for reference purposes only. If you need help or assistance with anything you should go here from here on thanks and enjoy! :thumbup

COMPONENTS that CAN be removed

Notepad

Paint

Wordpad

Printer Drivers

Printer Support

Media Metadata Handler

Photo Metadata Handler

Windows Aero Theme

Windows Media Codecs

Windows Media Player

Desktop Window Manager

Windows Remote Management

DHCP

SuperFetch

Windows Color System

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

SQM (Software Quality Management)

COMPONENTS that CANNOT be removed

Game Explorer

Snipping Tool

Welcome Center

Windows Image Acquisition

WLAN Support

Internet Explorer

Network and Sharing Center

Windows Firewall

Application Experience

Internet Connection Sharing

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Background Intelligent Transfer

Windows Update

Component Cache (winsxs)

Manual Install (Setup.exe)

Microsoft HTML Engine

MDAC

SYSTEM files to PROTECT and REASONING

wer.dll (have to protect this file in order to remove the error reporting service)

msdrm.dll (have to protect this file in order to remove digital rights management)

browcli.dll (have to protect this file so net start/stop will work by command prompt)

msoert2.dll (protect this file only if you are going to use and install msn messenger)

winipsec.dll (have to protect this file in order to remove the ipsec policy agent service)

Magnification.dll (protect this file if you are not removing Snipping Tool or it won't work)

APPLICATION and COMPONENT Removal Issues

Removing Help component breaks Windows Features

Removing Fax Support component breaks Windows Features

Removing Windows Search service breaks Windows Features

Removing Task Scheduler service breaks Disk Defragmenter

Removing Windows Connect Now service breaks Devices and Printers

Removing Crash Dump Support breaks Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep

Removing Event Log service breaks Tweak 7 Final and O&O Defrag 11

Removing Distributed File System component breaks Group Policy Object Editor

Edited by liquid0624

ive removed sqm in 32bit without any update problems; also office 2k7 installs & runs fine! if anyone wishes & the OP doesnt mind, i will post a guide here on how i removed stuff with dism (without installing waik for windows 7) & vlite?

ps the minor problem i had was some of the shortcuts were still left in the start menu & the windows features was broken (but it shouldn't matter too much as the needed components are installed)?

Edited by dead0

With all due respect: I think none of the above. My preset removes 170 out 202 components for build 7137 and I only have 1 issue with it (Safe removal USB). Will test again when I get my hands on build 7229 or 7230 or I can get the Dutch language pack for any of the other builds.

Its ok Jeronimo i respect your opinions but these presets and info was geared to the average user. Obviously you must of figured out something that i didn't if you don't mind pm ur preset or post if u want don't care. Id like to give a whirl and we figure out something different for the xtreme preset i can update the main post. The more removed the better that's why we are here in the first place. I think we are all anxiously awaiting 7230.

dead0 if you clear it with the ops i will edit the main post with guide have been very interested in doing it that way as well. :thumbup

unfortunately, my version only works with x86 as i havent tested it with x64

Its ok Jeronimo i respect your opinions but these presets and info was geared to the average user. Obviously you must of figured out something that i didn't if you don't mind pm ur preset or post if u want don't care. Id like to give a whirl and we figure out something different for the xtreme preset i can update the main post. The more removed the better that's why we are here in the first place. I think we are all anxiously awaiting 7230.

I matched your Extreme preset against mine and you have these components extra:

Shell event sounds
Shell event sounds
Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
Beep
Crash Dump Support

At least I know Crash Dump Support will cause your pc not to go hibernation and isn't EAP used for WLAN?

dead0 with drive compression on and DVD maker, Microsoft games deleted, wallpapers and sounds.

paging file and hibernation disabled as well. Getting 7229 x64 as of now hehe :thumbup

win7elite64 (4.05 gigs)

win7super64 (3.91 gigs)

win7xtreme64 (3.80 gigs)

here's a temporary guide:

tools required: WAIK 1.1, gimagex (optional), vlite 1.2

all must be installed!

nb. this method has been tested on windows 7 build 7201 x86

Stage 1:

1) create 2 folders such as c:\s1 & c:\s2

2) copy/extract the contents of iso/disc to s1

3) mount install.wim (image 5) to s2 folder using gimagex or imagex

4) from a cmd prompt, run install_wim_tweak.exe /m & then type c:\s2

to take ownership of reg hive, created by & credit to BM wnuku

5) commit changes & unmount

Stage 2:

1) first download this:

2) extract the batch file to the sources directory ie. c:\s1\sources

3) mount install.wim (image 5) to s2 folder using gimagex or imagex

4) run rem7201.bat from the sources directory (which has s2 folder already selected)

optional: while the batch file is running, you could delete the Recovery folder from c:\s2\windows\system32 directory, delete the contents of c:\s2\windows\winsxs\backup (you may need unlocker as the files are locked; do not delete the backup folder itself), also delete the folders & its contents from c:\s2\windows\web\wallpaper except for the windows folder which contains the default wallpaper, again you will need the unlocker tool)

5) once done, commit changes & unmount

then use vlite with my last session:

before you create the iso in vlite, make sure you delete every file in the sources folder except for boot.wim & install.wim. also, you will need to extract from the original iso, setup.exe from the sources folder to c:\s1\sources otherwise you will get a cd driver not found error when trying to install!!!

i've just installed this in vmware, set my paging file to 512mb, installed vmware tools, ran windows update to install the sound driver, restarted & my hd usage space is showing up as just under 2.5gb! :D

nb. as the sources folder already includes dism, you do not need to download & install waik for windows 7! the bat file uses dism from the sources folder to remove the packages from windows.

awesome dead either i would say make a new post or i can add it to the main one of mine its up to you but wow that looks great 2 mins left for 7229 can't wait to get started again hehe ;):thumbup

i'll do a proper one once i get 7229! i'll even give x64 a try? :)

ps i would recommend keeping error reporting service just for compatibility reasons! also i would keep remote desktop & assistance, just so when i click on the remote setting link in system properties, no error pops up! :P

Edited by dead0