Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Hey guys just my 2 cents. I used the super version as indicated in the parent post of this thread. I think I went a little conservative because there were some conflicts with services and some apps that were being removed so I allowed those to be added back in. My final install size on a vm is 5.4 gb and my image size is around 1.86 gb. I am using W7 x64 7229 right now.

So far the only thing I have noted and that is cosmetic is the Gadgets icon when you right click on the desktop.

Also I noticed that the resource monitor is gone as well...thats a bummer because I definitely would like to have that back. I am guessing for that to work I need to not remove the performance counters?

Also another thing I noticed in the event logs is that the Print Spooler had 2 errors upon initializing...it was looking for tcpmon.

Edited by suryad

you could try this batch file for x64 for my guide! seems to be working in removing the packages? the wim tweak also seems to work too? unfortunately, the testing in vmware takes too long as im using a 32bit OS as my main system!

ps this will be my only test with x64 as its too time consuming in vmware! :P

Edited by dead0

Hey guys just my 2 cents. I used the super version as indicated in the parent post of this thread. I think I went a little conservative because there were some conflicts with services and some apps that were being removed so I allowed those to be added back in. My final install size on a vm is 5.4 gb and my image size is around 1.86 gb. I am using W7 x64 7229 right now.

So far the only thing I have noted and that is cosmetic is the Gadgets icon when you right click on the desktop.

Also I noticed that the resource monitor is gone as well...thats a bummer because I definitely would like to have that back. I am guessing for that to work I need to not remove the performance counters?

Also another thing I noticed in the event logs is that the Print Spooler had 2 errors upon initializing...it was looking for tcpmon.

Yes the gadgets have been removed. So i knew about that one. The resource monitor you need to keep a few things

Services (Diagnostics)

System (Performance Counters)

System (Reliability and Performance Monitor)

Google tcpmon and you need to protect those files inside vlite.

you could try this batch file for x64 for my guide! seems to be working in removing the packages? the wim tweak also seems to work too? unfortunately, the testing in vmware takes too long as im using a 32bit OS as my main system!

ps this will be my only test with x64 as its too time consuming in vmware! :P

actually looks like the batch file does not fully work so ignore it neither does the wim tweak? will stick with 32bit testing for now....

removed the TPM.dll from the protect list b/c it forces you to keep the TPM service.

shouldn't really need this file unless you are planning on utilizing bit locker encryption.

windows\system32\wer.dll

windows\system32\msdrm.dll

windows\system32\browcli.dll

windows\system32\msoert2.dll

windows\system32\winipsec.dll

windows\system32\werconcpl.dll

windows\system32\Magnification.dll

Currently experimenting with trying to remove windows firewall, internet connection sharing service, network list service as well as network location awareness service and then i should be able to update the presets in the first post. :thumbup B)

Removing the stuff in the above statement didn't work now trying all of the 4 besides internet connection sharing will post back. :blink:

Hey guys I keep getting a Load Driver popup saying that ' a required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc.' when I am trying to run the vlited dvd in my system. You have any idea how to circumvent that problem?

Hey guys I keep getting a Load Driver popup saying that ' a required dvd/cd drive device driver is missing...etc etc.' when I am trying to run the vlited dvd in my system. You have any idea how to circumvent that problem?

make sure you have setup.exe in the sources folder, otherwise copy the setup.exe from the sources folder in original iso to the sources folder of the vlited dvd

Did you remove Manual Install (Setup.exe)? Do you have a raid, if not what kind of hard drive controller you have? Maybe u removed the Driver under Storage that you need.

make sure you have setup.exe in the sources folder, otherwise copy the setup.exe from the sources folder in original iso to the sources folder of the vlited dvd

Hmm **** that sounds like quite an important step! Wonder how I missed that! I was wondering if I was doing something else wrong like installing vlite 1.1 and then slapping 1.2 on top of it to bypass the waik requirement...or removing the games or the windows beep. Looks like I am gonna try all over again. Thanks for the pointer!

If I have not mentioned this before let me do it right now but thanks for the super fast replies fellas! Cheers! I will try what you suggested and post back if it worked!

Edited by suryad

use the xtreme v2 preset and work your way down from there. You can remove the games just not the explorer and windows beep can be removed as well.

Thanks for that suggestion. I did remove all the drivers but then I did download the latest windows 7 x64 drivers from the nvidia website and am integrating into vlite so that should work if I recall.