Application Proposal: XP Start Menu for 98

Should I make the XP Start Menu for 98?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Check Yes or No

• Yes
    • No
    • Maby?

In some of my post I have been unclear so I want to go back and fix them. Recently I was asked to create a start menu for Vista that somewhat emulates XP's start menu. I also decided I wanted to make one for 98 too. I found out that .Net programing works on Vista no problem, but has for on a Windows 98 machine it is sketchy. So I am making to Versions of the XP Start menu one for 98 (Using Visual Basic 6) and one for Newer machines (using Visual Basic 2008). Down below has I get more finished I will post it.

==============

Details XPBlue for 98

==============

This Version is built with Visual Basic 6.

===============

Details XPBlue for Vista

===============

This Version is built with Visual Basic 2008.

post-210064-1240952332_thumb.png

Edited by helpdesk98

Lately I have been looking for something to create and I think I have found something I can create! I have looked around the forums to see if it was done previously I did not find anything (my search was xp start menu). I will program it using to programs Visual Basic 6 (for those whos preference it) and Visual Basic 2005 (For thous who wish to use that version) I will start with the VB 05 program first, because I am still waiting on my VB 6 disk to arrive hear is a picture of what I go so far.

http://q6mcwg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pQmr...t_Menu_98SE.bmp

Edit:

The line under the shutdown button is fixed :thumbup

... 971.93 KB (995254 bytů) ... why BMP?

Realy addon XP menu to win 98?

... 971.93 KB (995254 bytů) ... why BMP?

Realy addon XP menu to win 98?

What? The BMP is a screen picture I took of the XP start menu that I am designing. I am just making a imitation of XP's start menu I may have a small beta sometime soon, but I would like to do some more testing before I provide a download. Hope that answers your question.

============

PreBeta STARTXP

============

I have Completed the first PREBETA! I know it is not exactly like XP's start menu, but it is a work in progress. This PreBETA may not work at all on your system has it is still in its early stages. I did not disable Windows 98 Start menu. Good Luck testing! I recommend only Advanced user try this program.

http://cid-93b3ff2c13bb298c.skydrive.live....ads/XpStart.zip

Some Side notes:

It will appear in different spots on your screen

It will not react to clicking the start button or using the windows key (i did not enable it)

If it dose not close in the upper right coroner is a hidden exit buttion

this utils required .net frameworks 2.0? Programming in .NET Framework 2 for Windows 98 is a bad idea...

Edited by Philco

Personally speaking, if I had programming skills of any kind I would want to try to apply them to help keep 9x alive in other ways - by perhaps maintaining a 9x branch of Firefox, or Media Player Classic, or VLC Media Player, for example. It's nice that you're doing something - all power to you. But it's a shame, I think, that the point of your project is cosmetic, and not functional.

Edited by bristols

At this time I am not a skilled programer, but I see this has a way to better my skills. :thumbup I hope to someday contribute programs that will help keep 98 alive. A side note the start menu is not going to be exactly like xp's I am adding a bit of my own flavor :-)

I agree with bristols that working, say, on KernelX is perhaps more useful, but everybody does what he can.

I'm sure many w98 users will like it and if it doesn't look too much like the XP menu I may like it too. ;) Tought I don't want to influence your choice.

the vb6 version is still in development I just go my VB6 cd two days ago so I got to leaRN the language. It will look like xp's start menu but once I get the core program working I will begin to move away from the xp theam.

I wouldn't want my 98 system to look one bit like XP or Vista. IMO, making 98 look like a newer OS is like trying to hide the fact that you're using 98.

It's worse than that: It's admiting that w98 is not superior to XP. :D

I wouldn't want my 98 system to look one bit like XP or Vista. IMO, making 98 look like a newer OS is like trying to hide the fact that you're using 98.

It's worse than that: It's admiting that w98 is not superior to XP. :D

You're right. That's awful. IMO, the 98 start menu is fine as is. If anything, I'd like to replace a few of the entries with some of my own, but there's nothing wrong with how it looks, simple and straight forward, what an OS should be.

XP like start menu would be great, but only if it will have XP recent applications list feature. Otherwise, I would better stay with Vista Start Menu (without recent applications list but with Vista-like application search and appearance - see http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133360).

Is there any progress on this project?

Edited by M()zart