USB Booting issues

toja92

Hi, I'm trying to install xp to usb stick (please read the whole post before starting to say something like "It's against microsofts EULA" cause that's not the main topic) and after I inserted the cd, it just popups this message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" (but in Swedish ;)) and I wonder, is it possible it's because i nlited the installator? And if so, what can be the problem? The last_session.ini file is 28kb so I will post if necessary, but if anyone knows what's the problem is without seeing the file, it would be good ;) And yes, I'm new to nlite so I might have done something terrible, but I haven't disabled/removed any of the red-marked ones...

EDIT: And btw, have you guys here completely forgotten those with vista basic? :S

Edited by toja92

Hi, I'm trying to install xp to usb stick (please read the whole post before starting to say something like "It's against microsofts EULA" cause that's not the main topic) and after I inserted the cd, it just popups this message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press ctrl+alt+delete to restart" (but in Swedish ;)) and I wonder, is it possible it's because i nlited the installator? And if so, what can be the problem? The last_session.ini file is 28kb so I will post if necessary, but if anyone knows what's the problem is without seeing the file, it would be good ;) And yes, I'm new to nlite so I might have done something terrible, but I haven't disabled/removed any of the red-marked ones...

EDIT: And btw, have you guys here completely forgotten those with vista basic? :S

Well, BOOTMGR is the loader of VISTA.

The loader for NT/2K/XP/2003 is NTLDR.

Cannot say how you managed to mix the two, but you have a "WRONG" (Vista) bootsector on the stick.

You need to run bootsect.exe /nt52 or a similar utility to create a proper NT/2K/XP/2003 bootsector on that partition.

But you are not actually expecting XP to boot from USB stick without modifications, do you?

Read here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4857&st=9

jaclaz

Well, BOOTMGR is the loader of VISTA.

The loader for NT/2K/XP/2003 is NTLDR.

Cannot say how you managed to mix the two, but you have a "WRONG" (Vista) bootsector on the stick.

You need to run bootsect.exe /nt52 or a similar utility to create a proper NT/2K/XP/2003 bootsector on that partition.

But you are not actually expecting XP to boot from USB stick without modifications, do you?

Read here:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4857&st=9

jaclaz

I have already done the necessary modifications, but I don't know why bootmgr was included instead of NTLDR.. I use Vista but is building a xp, and I choosed the predefined boot option, does it use vistas then? And if so, can I switch to XP's? I'm new to nlite so I'm a bit confused.

I have already done the necessary modifications, but I don't know why bootmgr was included instead of NTLDR.. I use Vista but is building a xp, and I choosed the predefined boot option, does it use vistas then? And if so, can I switch to XP's? I'm new to nlite so I'm a bit confused.

A bit of history might be of interest.

Dos 6.22 and 7.x/8.0 (read Win9x/ME) had a FORMAT command that did just that, i.e. formatted the filesystem, WITHOUT creating a bootable bootsector. You then ran SYS.COM that did two things, created the bootsector and transferred to the drive the system files.

The FORMAT command on NT/2K/XP/2003 (and Vista) does two things, format the filesystem AND create a bootable bootsector invoking the system loader.

The bootloader name never changed between NT/2K/XP/2003, but it did on Vista.

So, when you use the FORMAT command under Vista (or diskpart) or it's GUI version, you create a bootsector invoking BOOTMGR instead of NTLDR.

Vista provides an utility, bootsect.exe which, with the switch /nt52 replaces current (Vista->BOOTMGR) bootsector with an "XP" one, i.e. one invoking NTLDR.

Bootsect.exe usage:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/bootsectexe-...or-not-the-mbr/

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Forgot to say one thing, is the CD that don't start, because of the bootloader, and you can't format it, so I'm gonna try burning it on a XP system now, and see if something happens.

Forgot to say one thing, is the CD that don't start, because of the bootloader, and you can't format it, so I'm gonna try burning it on a XP system now, and see if something happens.

WHAT CD? :w00t:

Till now you were talking of a USB stick....:unsure:

Why don't you start again describing in more details what you are up to/trying to do?

jaclaz

He made an nLited XP CD on a Vista machine to install XP on a USB stick. Now from what I gather, he formatted the stick with Vista and when he tries to boot from the CD, it doesn't, it boots from the stick instead. So he gets the error message. Am I right ? :unsure:

He made an nLited XP CD on a Vista machine to install XP on a USB stick. Now from what I gather, he formatted the stick with Vista and when he tries to boot from the CD, it doesn't, it boots from the stick instead. So he gets the error message. Am I right ? :unsure:

Pretty much like that, but when I insert the CD, it boots up (burned it in my grandpas XP computer, worked good :)) and I get to the install screen and then I format it with the built-in formatting on XP cd (after choosing my thumb drive) and then I install. But now it seems it dont have any boot loader at all, cause after removing the cd from the "cupholder" ;) and trying to boot from my thumb drive, the only thing I see is a blinking white "_" (except quotations) and nothing happens. So I don't know what I should do now. Do anyone have a clue? Do I need to put in a bootloader? Oh wait, maybe I should try /fixboot add with the xp cd and insert a entry, maybe thats the missing part *holds thumbs* will update later :) If anyone thinks it's a different problem, please post ;)

EDIT: No dice. I still see a "_" and nothing happens. And yes, boot.ini contains the right information, and NTLDR and ntdetect.com exists. Anyone knows whats wrong?

Edited by toja92

The problem seems to me in the way the USB stick is formatted.

You SHOULD NOT let the XP install (nlited or not) format the USB stick.

Stick needs to be formatted BEFORE and TESTED for actually booting.

The tool that proved to be the "most practical" is the HP USB formatting utility.

What size is the stick?

Are you trying formatting it as FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS?

Read this oldish page:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html

with particular reference to FAQ #4 and #10

Then read this thread:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19594

where some checks and howto's are suggested-

And check this newish .cmd by fuwi:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=21702&hl=

that appears to have found a couple of "missing" steps

Set aside for the moment the "XP install" part.

Just partition and format the stick properly, add to it's root a NTLDR, a NTDETECT.COM and any BOOT.INI with at least two entries.

Once you can see the choices in boot.ini, it means that the initial booting (partitioning/formatting/MBR/bootsector) is OK and then you can try installing to it the XP.

jaclaz

The problem seems to me in the way the USB stick is formatted.

You SHOULD NOT let the XP install (nlited or not) format the USB stick.

Stick needs to be formatted BEFORE and TESTED for actually booting.

The tool that proved to be the "most practical" is the HP USB formatting utility.

What size is the stick?

Are you trying formatting it as FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS?

Read this oldish page:

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html

with particular reference to FAQ #4 and #10

Then read this thread:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19594

where some checks and howto's are suggested-

And check this newish .cmd by fuwi:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=21702&hl=

that appears to have found a couple of "missing" steps

Set aside for the moment the "XP install" part.

Just partition and format the stick properly, add to it's root a NTLDR, a NTDETECT.COM and any BOOT.INI with at least two entries.

Once you can see the choices in boot.ini, it means that the initial booting (partitioning/formatting/MBR/bootsector) is OK and then you can try installing to it the XP.

jaclaz

I'll try the HP formating utility, and adds only those files after. Thanks for the help so far :)

EDIT: The stick is 2 gB and I tried ntfs, but maybe I should use FAT32? Anyways if I get this working I will use a EWF filter in the portable windows but thats a later story...

Edited by toja92

I'll try the HP formating utility, and adds only those files after. Thanks for the help so far :)

EDIT: The stick is 2 gB and I tried ntfs, but maybe I should use FAT32? Anyways if I get this working I will use a EWF filter in the portable windows but thats a later story...

As a rule of thumb, NTFS is NOT advised on flash based memory, if some precautions are not implemented, and unless it is really needed for any reason, as it is a semi-journaled filesystem and the excessive number of reads (irrelevant) and writes (VERY relevant) on the stick may cause a premature failure of the device.

FAT32 poses not the above problems, but as said might be trickier to be made bootable.

Since your stick is 2 Gb, i.e. within the limits of FAT16, I suggest you to use FAT16, as it proved to be the "most compatible" filesystem when it comes to booting.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

As a rule of thumb, NTFS is NOT advised on flash based memory, if some precautions are not implemented, and unless it is really needed for any reason, as it is a semi-journaled filesystem and the excessive number of reads (irrelevant) and writes (VERY relevant) on the stick may cause a premature failure of the device.

FAT32 poses not the above problems, but as said might be trickier to be made bootable.

Since your stick is 2 Gb, i.e. within the limits of FAT16, I suggest you to use FAT16, as it proved to be the "most compatible" filesystem when it comes to booting.

jaclaz

Hmm tried both NTFS & FAT32 but I only get "Invalid system disk. Replace and press ctrl+alt+delete to reboot.

EDIT: Should I try FAT16 (or FAT as it seems to be called in HP Format utility?)

EDIT2: After formating to FAT and copying files, the same message popups. Does this mean my usb stick can't boot? It used to be a "U3" stick but I removed U3, so that can't be the problem.

Edited by toja92

As said, making a USB stick bootable can be tricky business in some instances.

Something that has proved to be working is to "wipe" the first, say 100 sectors by writing 00's to them, see here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/USB-MultiBoot-8-...4.html&st=8

before re-running the HP utility.

Alternatively or additionally try using the batch by fuwi referenced before.

Alternatively or additionally, you can try my "indirect" way through batch:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5000

Alternatively or additionally, do try once again formatting it with the HP utility as FAT (yes it is FAT16), then use hdhacker:

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

make a copy of BOTH MBR (physicaldrive) AND bootsector (logicaldrive) of your USB stick, compress them in a .zip archive and post the .zip file as attachment, and I'll have a look at them.

jaclaz

Tried filling the drive with 00's and vista didn't recognized the drive after that, so I formated it with the hp utility. After that I copied ntdetect.com, NTLDR and a boot.ini file with two entries, and restarted but it still says "Invalid system drive" so I don't know how to solve this. I attached my MBR & bootsector if you want to look at it.

Edited by toja92