windows98SE & XFX7950GT (NVidia)

songa

First ,you can see this topic

http://www.msfn.org/board/NVidia-drivers-8269-t97140.html

But,it has some problem with 7950GT...

Did your 7950GT AGP has 512MB or 256MB VRAM ?

I also have a 7950GT AGP with 512MB VRAM, but I failed to install it in win98 with MDGX's 82.69 Driver...I guess it because the 512MB VRAM that win98 can't handle it.

So..

If your videocard has 256MB VRAM,you can try the MDGX's 8269 Driver , maybe it will work....

The link to download MDGX's driver in the topic is dead, but you can download it from here

http://soporific.dsleague.com/downloads/DP_w98_3.01.exe

( http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?pid=20235 )

Good Lock

Thank you for your attention StarRiver, but the first thing

if I done, was readed all topics about these drivers!

Anyone not works with me! Maybe the problem if you explain, do it!

My card is XFX-7950GT AGP 512MB DDR3 (PV-T71A-YDF3).

Is possible to load driver of another poor card, like GeForce 6 series.

Something like to deceive the system and its works more weak, but

will works! Anything is better than the software driver (VESA).

Any solution to my, will be a GOOD solution. I dont care about the

big resolutions or control panels... I need only the 1024x768 at

high color (16bit)... Its enought to my. VESA works, but is very slow!

(sorry me about my poor english)

thank you.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but was about to buy this exact card Songa has before last-minute double checking the info here about it.

Has anyone yet confirmed the functionality of the 7950gt 512mb under Win98 or should I just not waste my money and not bother?

Seems rather impossible to find the 256mb versions nowadays. My 6800ultra 256mb kicked the bucket and seeking a replacement of equivalent (or better) specs in the 7 series due to the 66xx/68xx cards apparently having issues with my mobo/cpu combo (according to the caveats regarding the series in wikipedia and noticed by issues with command use).

Edited by Chozo4

Read this topic. cooksy has 7900 and 7950 256 MiB video cards working (see also the 9x/ME with > 1 GiB thread, post #2, link in my signature). Lecco also has a 7900GS. rloew has the solution for the 512 MiB problem.

Alas, the solution shows for vid cards with 256mb, the other link in the running over 1gb thread, none of the users have gfx cards with anything larger than 256mb (Any that are use the bear windows driver). RLoew's solution link has a user with yet another 256mb card.

Are you sure the ram limitation patch would still apply for use of 512mb gfx cards then? Just looking for clarification is all, don't mean to seem doubtful of your input. Seen very little specifically related to the 512's and I've very little cash to spare so don't want to buy something used then find out I cannot use it.

Edited by Chozo4

The latest version of rloew's patch has the /M switch which caters for the 512 MiB issue specifically. However, you should download the free demo, install it, and test with your system, before anything. If you determine it does work in your case, then you begin considering acquiring it. In case it does not work, you may still contact rloew, because he certainly will be interested in your case and may yet devise a next version that works. So I think you run no risk at all. If you did not buy the card yet, I'd advise you to wait for Songa's report about his own experience, however.

The latest version of rloew's patch has the /M switch which caters for the 512 MiB issue specifically. However, you should download the free demo, install it, and test with your system, before anything. If you determine it does work in your case, then you begin considering acquiring it. In case it does not work, you may still contact rloew, because he certainly will be interested in your case and may yet devise a next version that works. So I think you run no risk at all. If you did not buy the card yet, I'd advise you to wait for Songa's report about his own experience, however.

Ah! That explains a fair bit. Seeing as songa's post was over a year old - I don't think they would be updating the post anytime soon really.

However, knowing the patch is working on addressing vid memory issues in that respect (wasn't immediately evident to me), I'll buy the card anyway. This way, if anything, it will help further the developement of the patch in that regard if there are some issues with its' use. If push comes to shove, I'll just have to bite the bullet and resort to an install of win2k or xp for the time being whenever I need to use the card itself untill things get resolved.

I thank you for the clarification in that regard Dencorso and greatly appreciate your time with this. If I manage to win the bid on the card, I'll update the thread as to my findings once I receive it. :)

Edited by Chozo4

Well, the results are in on this.

Even using a fresh setup, the card would not boot into windows once the drivers were installed. Only way to get into windows after was to disable literally everything in the bios (FDC controller, USB, etc) before I could get to the desktop in 640x480 @ 16-color. It would then blink out the screen and stop functioning entirely until restart the moment I'd made an attempt to access the display properties.

Additionallty, use of the ram limitation patch by RLowe, was minimal use at best. Using it with the /A switch (/m isn't valid), it stabilized the display proprties enough to change resolution. However, upon restart it would make claims of 'an error with the display settings' and still sit in 16 colour / 640x480. Even with the patch installed, enabling any other PC features (FDC/USB/etc) would continue to prevent booting into windows once again.

So, from what it seems: 7950gt 256mb is okay according to certain mmbers, in this case, 7950gt 512mb is a no go.

Edited by Chozo4

Additionallty, use of the ram limitation patch by RLowe, was minimal use at best. Using it with the /A switch (/m isn't valid), it stabilized the display proprties enough to change resolution. However, upon restart it would make claims of 'an error with the display settings' and still sit in 16 colour / 640x480. Even with the patch installed, enabling any other PC features (FDC/USB/etc) would continue to prevent booting into windows once again.
Yes. I've just seen it. I'd never downloaded v. 6.1 of the demo RAM Limitation Patch, because I'm a licenced user, so I had only the full version. Now I've downloaded the demo to check it out. The problem is you need the /M option, but it has been removed from the demo:
[...]

LOW MEMORY REQUIREMENTS

Some Devices, especially many Gigabit Ethernet Controllers, require space in

Low Physical RAM. Low Physical RAM is also used by Windows 98 or 98SE for

Memory Tables. If there is not enough Free Low Physical Memory, Windows will

crash during Bootup. Reboot, a Blank Screen, or a VFAT Error are the most

common symptoms. Having a very large Registry can cause this problem also.

Increasing RAM reduces Low Physical RAM further, potentially causing this

problem to appear.

The Full version of this Patch has options to move data out of the Low

Physical RAM to prevent this problem.

[...]

[...]

LOW MEMORY REQUIREMENTS

Some Devices, especially many Gigabit Ethernet Controllers, require space in

Low Physical RAM. Low Physical RAM is also used by Windows 98 or 98SE for

Memory Tables. If there is not enough Free Low Physical Memory, Windows will

crash during Bootup. Reboot, a Blank Screen, or a VFAT Error are the most

common symptoms.

If Windows 98 or 98SE crashes do the following to increase Low Physical Memory.

1. Run PATCHMEM to Uninstall the Patch.

2. Run the following to ReInstall the Patch:

PATCHMEM /M

3. Reboot.

[...]

So, in fact, it seems to me that you'd need both the /A and the /M options to solve your problem.

Now I've downloaded the demo to check it out. The problem is you need the /M option, but it has been removed from the demo:

~~Snip

So, in fact, it seems to me that you'd need both the /A and the /M options to solve your problem.

Oye... means I have to scrounge up $20 somehow then.

*scratches head* Makes me wonder if the patch (if it works that well) would have solved the nagging issue I'd always had with my (now defunct) 6800ultra 256mb. Whereas it would cause GDI abnormalities with ddraw at random when using console windows or apps (PHP interpreter for example) that called even a hidden console window per run.

.. anywho, once I get ahold of a full license I'll report on the results further. I greatly appreciate your time, Dencorso.

Edited by Chozo4

Now I've downloaded the demo to check it out. The problem is you need the /M option, but it has been removed from the demo:

~~Snip

I have placed the ZIP file of my Version 6.2 RAM Limitation Patch Demo on my Website.

http://rloew1.no-ip.com

The web pages have not been updated yet.

The /M option has been restored on the Demo Version.

Well, that didn't work in my case. Just tried it with '/a /m' and '/m' on its' own.

To even get into windows I still had to disable my USB and FDC only to find the drivers weren't taking and would only function in 640x480x16. Any other resolution would cause it to boot with 'error in your hardware configuration' or 'error in display settings'.

Starting to think this card won't work whatever I do. =\