What should I get?

nerd93

Well I got a old 346 out the back and at this very moment I actually got a Toshiba Notepad but now I want a Desktop Computer to do up for whatever needs.

So I am getting a new case for that and a new monitor since it will be cheaper the going out and buying a whole new computer with all the stuff I want in it. So I am mainly looking for a new Processor and a new Motherboard really. I am Australian so I would like to mostly here from Australians so yer these are the ones my brother suggested to me.

MOTHERBOARDS

Gigabyte GSM5754-54

Asus P5b-MX-Wifi

Foxconn P9657AA-8K52H

Asus M2N4-54

Asus M2N-54 Deluxe

MSI K9N-54-Platinum

PROCESSORS

AMD Sempron 3200

AMD Athlon x2 5200

I am not to sure yet but I might get a graphics card so here are some my brother also recommended.

Manli 7300GT PCI-E 256 CRT

Manli 8500GT PCI-E 256 DUI

Manli 7600GT

Yer so I am kinda like to Intel Processors more than the AMD so I was wondering what you guys think. Also If you can, can you try to find some reviews on them, I found one on the Intel Processors and all so don't worry about them and also if you find a price can you tell me if it's like AUD or USD and so on thanks guy's in advance.

EDIT: Also I am looking for some good 320 Gig hard drives if not about 160 Gig.

I'm out :ph34r:

Edited by nerd93

hum... okay :P.

First, we need to know where you like to buy your new parts; if you have a site, it would be very handy.

After that, we need to know what you are going to do with it, what programs and what OS you like to use. Do you want to game with it? Do you already have a screen? We always need more info; else, we cannot help you out well. Forget what your brother told you, they look like random picks to me and most are outdated...

I'll give you a parts list of the system I just put together for myself:

Case - Antec 900

CPU - Intel Q6600

Mobo - ASUS P5B Deluxe (non wifi)

RAM - 2x1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800

Hard drive - 2x WD Caviar SE16 320GB (RAID0)

Graphics card - eVGA 8600GT 256MB "Superclocked"

DVD Burner - Pioneer DVR-212D

PSU - Corsair HX520

The Q6600 might be a bit overkill for you, but honestly - the system flies. It takes that system about 20 seconds from pressing the power button to being at a fully working desktop. Most of that comes from the hard drive performance, but if you take that setup I've got, and toss in an E6450 or the like - you'll have a system that will keep you plenty happy for the next few years. :)

ya the Q6600 sure does rock :thumbup

my old comp actually booted up faster :huh:

so zxian, how do you like the 'Big Boy'?

but ya these guys are right, a cheap Core 2 Duo with an Asus board will work very well for you. it doesnt sound like you play games at all so you might as well save your money and get a 7300GT.

Edited by ripken204

The Big Boy fan is actually impressive. I've got it on low speed, and it still draws out a considerable amount of air. The 900 has TONS of airflow. The downside - dust and lack of any noise blocking. My fans are slow enough that the noise doesn't bother me anyways.

Regarding your boot times - disable any device controllers you're not using. I've disabled the JMicron controller on my P5B board, since I don't have any PATA devices or the SATA or eSATA. That shaves off about 2-3 seconds from the boot time.

About the video card - if you don't game - any dedicated graphics card will do the trick. Heck - even a 7100GS will be fine for a plain work computer.

well for boot times i've disabled most things such as the jmicron and 2nd etherner port. there are prolly other things but i havnt spent that much time in the bios yet. the boot time i was actually talking about was the actual windows bootscreen. my amd comp took 3 bars max and now its taking like 5..

The only thing I have to add is that the P5B Deluxe might be a little overkill if he's not gaming. The non-WiFi version is also hard to find now. The Asus P5B-E would be an alternate recommendation. I wanted the Deluxe but it wasn't out yet when I upgraded last year. The P5B-E has served me well and I do game.