accessing htpc shared folders via internet

b-man

i have my htpc running win7 and can access my shared folders via lan on my android phone with es explorer

all i have to do is put in my ip address and user, pass etc and it works well.

i noticed in its link on the phone it list it under smb://192.168.1.10/

how would i access it over the internet in the same program? i know i would have to forward some ports but its just not working

i have forwarded 445 to the htpc ip address 192.168.1.10 and put it in the program as

(my dns server):445 but its not working? i can get it to access other things over the internet like sickbeard, utorrent, remote desktop etc and i know my ports are getting forwarded just dont know how to access my files

any help?

Edited by b-man

Simple File Sharing does not work over the internet like that. You'll need some program to "serve" the files to make them available. If you want to do this just for file access, you could use an FTP server application, such as FileZilla.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

But mind the terms of service from your ISP. Most residential plans do not allow provisions for running a server as that is typically reserved for business plans. If they do not allow you to run a server, they could shut off your service should they catch you.

Another concern is that by doing something like this, you are opening up that PC to the internet and possible intrusion. So you need to make sure the way in is as secure as possible.

im not after using it to share files just want to view the folder structure and see the files in the folder not open them if that makes sense.

seems too hard just for that thought it could be something simple

thanks

• 2 weeks later...