Loud Fan Noise not due to Dust

spacesurfer

Ripken, I apologize - finally got to have look in BIOS.

Here's what I found about fan:

CPU Temp = 76 C

MB Temp = 48 C

CPU Fan speed = 4655 RPM

CPU Q-fan control = disabled

Chassis fan speed = N/A

Power fan speed = N/A

Should I enable CPU Q-fan control? It does give me an option to do so.

well do you have options to change the speed of the fan depending on how hot the cpu is? you might need to enable Q-fan do access this feature. your cpu is running insanely hot! so my guess is that you fan is set to be on high speed when the cpu is above 50C for example.

but seriously, 76C!!!! that is far from normal!

Just thought I'd mention this...

I did a little research regarding that loud noise when you first turn on the computer ( I had the same problem ) and it seems that the fan might actually be dying. I'm not 100% sure about this, but every time I start my computer, I have the same problem. I think it might be my PSU fan.

Okay, I enabled it and now the fan slows down.

I don't think I have a chassis fan. I opened it up. I have a fan in front of my HDD's but can't seem to feel any air. I may have to add another fan somewhere in the case to get my temp down.

Okay, I enabled it and now the fan slows down.

I don't think I have a chassis fan. I opened it up. I have a fan in front of my HDD's but can't seem to feel any air. I may have to add another fan somewhere in the case to get my temp down.

definatly get another fan in there, glad to hear that it works now also.

gamehead - no that's not it. brand new comps do it also.

Ripken, I apologize - finally got to have look in BIOS.

Here's what I found about fan:

CPU Temp = 76 C

MB Temp = 48 C

CPU Fan speed = 4655 RPM

CPU Q-fan control = disabled

Chassis fan speed = N/A

Power fan speed = N/A

Should I enable CPU Q-fan control? It does give me an option to do so.

CPU Temp = 76 C (168.8 F) !!....what you need to do is fix this high temperture....you might be needing someone to put on some 'Silver Artic' or replace that heat sink/fan with one that is better apt in cooling that CPU....its also possible that fan has a broken fin or cracked fin....but you need to do some serious investigating on that high cpu temp.

Edited by jroc

I have to add something here since I haven't read it from any other posts.

Looking at the CPU temperature and the fact that your fan is spinning at 4655 Rpm (which is very fast) I would begin to suspect you have an issue with the CPU cooler/heatsync. Either it's dusty or hasn't got the connection to the CPU it needs to transfer the heat fast enough.

We had a ton of Dell machines that needed a new CPU cooler/heatsync - they were only 2 pipe and needed replacing with 4 pipe models as the fans (over time) would end up running full blast because the CPU could no longer run cool.

I would suggest replacing the cooler with a good quality unit with the proper Thermal paste between it and the CPU. By throttling down the fan now you risk fying the CPU or at least having it go into clock-reduced mode to keep cool.

Cheap investment to keep things in top order.

Now you guys got me worried.

After I enabled, I set the target CPU temp to 60 C in BIOS. Then I booted to Windows hoping to install ASUS PC Probe but it wouldn't install (that's another issue - I got an error that c:\windows\system32\config.nt is not valid or something. The files doesn't even exist in that folder. I created a 0 byte file hoping it just wants it to be present, but still wouldn't install even though I told installer to ignore.)

Anyway, luckily I had a BartPE plugin for this utility, so I booted to BartPE. Then I just sat there to see if the CPU temp would decrease to 60C and IT DID!!

The temp is down by 15 C. And now, I can hear the fan increase and decrease depending on my usage.

So, my question is should I still be worried about installing another fan or replacing the cooler/heat sink?

Edited by spacesurfer

I would be VERY serious about checking why your temp even gets to 76C....and yes I would defiantly replace something...seems your MB temp is about par.

my CPU has been running pretty hard and its at 44C and my fan (60mmX60mm) is turning at 5037 RPMs...but you have to stick your head up against the case to hear it.....i just re-applied some Silver Artic...but I really didn't need it...since my temp went from 45C to 42C...and usually around 37-38C Idle.

Edited by jroc

76C + 4655 RPM WOW :o Just for comparison sake my cpu is at 44C and the fan (9cm) is at 2637 RPM. Obviously something is wrong there.

Clean the pc of dust, make sure air is getting in there. What is the ambient room temperature?

Is this the stock heatsink/fan or are you using an aftermarket 3rd party cooler?

Also how big is the fan diagonally? 8cm/9cm/12cm?

The room temp is around 78 F.

It's a stock heatsink/fan.

I think it's a 8 to 9 cm; not 12 cm.

I can install memory, hard drive, pci cards, etc. but I'm a little apprehensive about messing with the CPU, especially applying arctic silver because I've read you can screw it up if you don't do it right.

Any points on WHICH, WHERE can I find, HOW to apply?

Any good heatsinks?

I have an Intel Pentium 4. I can get more info about processor if you need it.