Loud Fan Noise not due to Dust

spacesurfer

I have a system I built in 2004 with ASUS P5GDC and a Pentium 4. It came with a heat sink (I think that's what it's called - it's huge and has a fan).

Well, when I start the system or restart the system, it's loud! I can hear it in another room. It's a consistent loudness so I know there's nothing wrong with the fan, like dust. It's done that since day 1.

Interestingly, if I put the computer to sleep (or standby) and wake it up again, then the fan is not that loud anymore. It's still on (I can hear and feel the air) but quieter. And I've never had problem of overheating.

What could be the reason for this? Everytime I start or restart, I have to put the computer to sleep and then awaken it again so I don't hear the loud fan.

Is it just that the heatsink is not that good? But they why would it be quieter after awakening from sleep?

Whether it slows down or not, I do not know unless you measure the speed.

But if you asking about the noise level - NO. The noise level remains as loud as can be. I can keep it running for days and the noise level would not drop. But I've set it to auto-sleep after 30 mins so that's the only time the noise decreases. And of course, since I awaken from sleep, it's quiet again until next reboot.

Like Ripken said: First the fan runs on max. speed, then slows down. It´s common, nothing special ;).

ya but apparently his doesnt slow down.. very strange.

are the fans connected to the motherboard? if so then there are options in the BIOS under "pc health" or something similar where you can set fan speeds.

It has ASUS Q-Fan2 so it should slow down if connected on the right connector indeed.

"ASUS Q-Fan2 technology intelligently adjusts both CPU fan and chassis fan speeds according to system loading to ensure quiet, cool and efficient operation."

bonestonne, you say it a bit odd.

Electrical equipment doesn't draw voltage, it draws amperes. So, if you connect something of 7 volts it will work on 7 volts (there are exceptions, like capacitive and inductive circuits, but I´ll prevent you from headaches ;) ).

Edited by puntoMX

:rolleyes: but whos going to want to hear it technical?

jk..

yes, but the motor needs a certain current to start, so it'll draw what it needs...which is why you can access the BIOS of a laptop with less current than needed to fully start the laptop.

that and i don't exactly think its an electrician thats asking [otherwise they'd more than likely be able to say it temself]

I'm not an expert at building systems although I built this system. I can't/don't know how to answer your questions (ripken's question about where it's connected in MOBO).

I'm no electrician.

I should also mention that when I awaken it from sleep and the fan doesn't make that much noise and I restart, then sometimes the noise level remains low, then once the system starts up, it INCREASES to the full noise level as if I had started it up fresh.

lol....you built this box in 2004 and now 3 years later it bothers you to the point to post about it...lol....it could be some bad bearings....or time to just replace it with a new 'quiet' one.