A fan Question

RJM

Well, summer has come to Florida and as the temperatures rise I see the load temps

In my PC (see sig.) also rise. So I was thinking of upgrading the fan on my Scythe

Infinity to two Thermaltake A1280’s – push pull.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811999113

This seemed like quite a lot for two fans with shipping. So wit not much else to do today,

I remembered a company I had bought surplus equipment from years ago and decided to

Look them up on the WEB and see what they had for 120mm fans. This is what I found.

NMB 4710-04W-B40 120mm 38 dBA. 83 CFM. $4.50 Ea $7.00 Shipping total.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item...LING_FAN_.html#

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with NMB fans, it looks like a good one

And after a quick search on Froogle.

http://www.google.com/products?q=NMB+Model...=en&show=dd

JPCparts wants quite a bit for them.

What’s your opinion should I go for Thermaltake or NMB?

yate loon D12SL-12, D12SM-12, D12SH-12 if your looking for cheaper fans..

go over to silentpcreview.com for a great lineup of fans. going by the manufacturers specs is not the way to do it, many of them lie.

Edited by ripken204

Ah, formally Panasonic. I guess I’ll try 2 of them.

Link to NMB data sheet. http://www.elma.com/StaticPages/BinaryFile...0NL-04W-B40.pdf

Panasonic Industrial is no longer directly involved with axial fans and stepping motors. Rather, Matsus***a (Panasonic) and Minebea (NMB) have formed a joint venture called Minebea-Matsus***a Motor Company (MMMC) to handle both fans and stepping motors. MMMC has elected to concentrate sales and marketing effort related to these products through NMB.

Looks like you can't spell Mat-sushi-ta here.

Edited by RJM

NMB...you know, i actually have a fan lying around thats by them...in all honesty, its loud, and its not all that great. the fan blades are very thick, but do sweep, so theres plenty of pressure, however the noise is quite annoying, and when vibrating against metal, its even worse.

Yate Loons or Nexus 120mm fans are the best choice you have, quiet, easily undervolted, and they move plenty of air.

Looks like you can't spell Mat-sushi-ta here.

lol, actually its

Mat- Su - ____ - a

couldn't be that hard to find...great sensorship...i must say.

either way, NMB fans aren't the greatest.

Edited by bonestonne

Just an observation: 38dBa is quite loud, at least to me. I've installed 12cm fans that rate at ~10dBa and they are whisper quiet. I had to disconnect the alarm in PC Probe (it was an ASUS board) because the fan speed was always below the allowed threshold!

The last few machines I've built used Antec cases which come with a 3-position switch for the rear 12cm fan. This seems like it might be a good solution for you (the fan, not the case!! lol , though the NSK6500 case is a good one). The low position is extremely quiet, but if you need to move more air you can crank it up a notch or two. The other solution is to use an inline voltage regulator and snake that outside the case where you can get to it. That way you can use a higher rpm fan but reduce the voltage and thus the rpms and noise to acceptable levels.

With any luck if I install two of them maybe they will drown out the noise from the fan on my Sapphire X1950XT. :whistle:

And I have enough spare parts to build a nice little switching regulator for fan speed control.

How about you try a cooler PC? Like a CPU and GPU that draws less power?

because most people cant just go out and but a new pc. i only wish :rolleyes:

What about an "upgrade". Sometimes depending on the CPU is a slight downgrade. Upgrade if its about a year old though.

Or I could just go back to the stock frequency 2.4Ghz and drop my Vcore from 1.35V on this 6 month old system (see sig.)

but my temps are not that bad. Measured with core temp Idle 52C logged during gaming 60C max, TAT 15 minutes 67C. I thought Replacing the 46.5 CFM fan that came with the Scythe Infinity with two 83 CFM fans in a push pull arangement with a fan controler would alow me to ballance my noise level and temperature at considerably less expense than buying a new computer.

Anyway, my original question about NMB fans seems to be answered, and UPS will be delivering two tomorrow.

Thanks for your input. :thumbup

Another thought about temperatures, from Tom's Hardware's sticky on Core2 Duo Temperature guide.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Co...pict221745.html

Core temp is always 15C higher that Tcase, Tcase is always higher than the temperature inside your box, and the temperature inside your box

is always higher than the ambient temperature. 28C for me.

I'm just trying to get the temperature delta from idle to load down, I have already reduced the load temperature by 6C switching to the Scythe Infinity from the ArticFreezer 7 Pro.

Edited by RJM