Does Windows 98 SE have a limit on processor speed?

EGOvoruhk

I don't think he has it linked directly, but he has linked to a "newer" update that supersedes Q312108. If you want the original Q312108 HotFix for 98 FE, I can upload it somewhere for you. I'm very familiar with this particular problem. It has also now been solved for Windows 95. This is one of the things I was talking about in the other thread.

To be honest, I don't see the point in using Win95 with over 2.1ghz, except just to experiment. It unfortunately can't game so unless there's like some way to get Steam running on Win95, there'd be no point. Besides, it works fine on this 1.1GHz Tualatin P3 rig w/512 RAM.

To be honest, I don't see the point in using Win95 with over 2.1ghz, except just to experiment. It unfortunately can't game so unless there's like some way to get Steam running on Win95, there'd be no point. Besides, it works fine on this 1.1GHz Tualatin P3 rig w/512 RAM.

:blink:

I'm missing something here. You wanted an obsolete HotFix for Windows 98 First Edition.. but you seem to be using Windows 98 Second Edition. Now the fix you probably downloaded DOES have updates for both, but was not required for SE in relation to CPU speed.

Your reason for not being interested in the Windows 95 fix is that Steam does not run on 95. Last time I checked, it does not run on 98FE or 98SE either, so what's the difference? In one thread you complain that 95 "doesn't get much love" and then in another thread, when you are introduced to an important fix for it, you disregard it.

The POINT is to do something that Microsoft says can't be done. Now if you're not interested, that's fine. But don't be so ready to complain about not having this or that fixed when you don't take advantage of what has already been done. :angry:

Oh sorry, what I meant was that I know that 95 won't be getting any sort of fix for running Steam, yes I know that it never supported 95, but it DID support 98/ME. (was using 98FE btw) I was hoping that there might have been someone somewhere that would do something to optimize 95 for Steam, but apparently it won't happen, oh well.

Bah, I'm terrible at explaining things, sorry about this misunderstanding but nobody's perfect, right?

Your reason for not being interested in the Windows 95 fix is that Steam does not run on 95. Last time I checked, it does not run on 98FE or 98SE either, so what's the difference? In one thread you complain that 95 "doesn't get much love" and then in another thread, when you are introduced to an important fix for it, you disregard it.

Steam did work on Windows 98 until 2007. It can still be used if you run offline.

I didn't know about their plans so I went online after the deadline. They updated my Software and it no longer runs.

If anyone still has the older version running, I would be interested in the core files that were updated.

Steam did work on Windows 98 until 2007. It can still be used if you run offline.

I didn't know about their plans so I went online after the deadline. They updated my Software and it no longer runs.

If anyone still has the older version running, I would be interested in the core files that were updated.

You and me both. :}

I had purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, and not knowing about their plans I hadn't attempted to install it until after that deadline had passed. Needless to say I was extremely angry to find that I couldn't install the software that I had purchased under the assumption that it was designed to run in Windows 98. :realmad:

So from that day forward, I refused to install Steam on any machine or purchase/use any game that required it. I have yet to play Half-Life 2. (I know there are "workarounds" :whistle: - I've just been too irritated to even care about trying them.)

You and me both. :}

I had purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, and not knowing about their plans I hadn't attempted to install it until after that deadline had passed. Needless to say I was extremely angry to find that I couldn't install the software that I had purchased under the assumption that it was designed to run in Windows 98. :realmad:

So from that day forward, I refused to install Steam on any machine or purchase/use any game that required it. I have yet to play Half-Life 2. (I know there are "workarounds" :whistle: - I've just been too irritated to even care about trying them.)

i'm not sure what the workarounds are. The only one I have heard of is KernelEx. I bypassed the "Unsupported Operating System" check, but it still failed and some of the DLLs are linked to NT only System APIs as well. I installed Steam from scratch, but it could not update and it doesn't allow offline useage. Offline usage appears to require validation at least once.

Edited by rloew

i'm not sure what the workarounds are. The only one I have heard of is KernelEx. I bypassed the "Unsupported Operating System" check, but it still failed and some of the DLLs are linked to NT only System APIs as well. I installed Steam from scratch, but it could not update and it doesn't allow offline useage. Offline usage appears tro require validation at least once.

I was referring to a method of installing HL2 without connecting to Steam, not a "workaround" for Steam itself. So it was specific to that one situation.