Why No App Open WMV files?

Fredledingue

WMV9 codecs installed (see MDGx list of update or website). Wmplayer.exe doesn't exists (deleted)

mplayer.exe can open and play all the wmv files on my PC but no other application would.

Even a simple player like FastStone player is unable to open WMV files (plays well all the other types), decoders and editors won't open wmv files neither.

Only mplayer.exe seems to be able to open them. Can it be because wmplayer.exe is not found or is it a codcs problem?

I don't know the codec version in which the files have been encoded.

Mplayer.exe IS an app and it is the one your computer has associated with wmv files. What version is it? This is usually found by clicking on the help section. If you want something else to play them it will have to have the codecs installed.

Mplayer uses internal codecs. That's why you can play wmv files with it. Did you uninstall/delete Wmp after you installed the wmv9 codecs? Try reinstalling the wmv9 codecs. But, By Design from Microsoft :angry: , you will always have some issues with wmv's without Wmp installed. I feel that without wmp installed playback and seeking are less smooth in any player. I made Kmplayer (no spelling error, other player) play wmv's a lot better by putting wmploc.dll and wmpui.dll in the program directory. It seems it needs those files anyway even with the wmv9 codecs installed.

Btw, what version of Mplayer do you use? The latest versions don't work correct on Win9x. Controls like play/pause and stop don't work, only opening and closing files.

Solved!

Basicaly I had problems with all players and editors I tried. Now it seems it's fixed.

I think my system was sort of in a mess. I had other issues (errors, programs non functioning etc) non related to wmv or multimedia which obliged me to reinstall windows and I had thousands of problem reinstalling it and reinstalling drivers which for no reason were uninstalled during the windows reinstall (crashes, BSODs, everything).

Now it seems it's bcak to normal.

Big disapointement for me: My installed file checker script were of no use in this case... :(

(I think i'v been victim of virus while trying a freeware).

• 4 weeks later...

Big disapointement for me: My installed file checker script were of no use in this case... :(

consider installing an antivirus software on your computer, Fredledingue. don't surf the net w/out one

consider installing an antivirus software on your computer, Fredledingue. don't surf the net w/out one

First I'm not sure it was a virus, but rather a loosy, bloated installers.

I can be a virus since neither Total Uninstall (which I always use to add or remove rograms) nor my Installed File Checker (IFC) detected any modification.

The only way to hide modifications from IFC is to create afile of the same size and name and modifying the creation date to that of the original file. IMO,only a hacker would want to do that but there can be other and more honest reasons.

I ran AntiVir (updated) and it didn't ddtect anything. It never detect anything on my w98 platform but almost always detect something on the XP platform.

With all the freeware I tested it'sa miracle my computer is even booting up! :D

Viruses are a secondary concern for me...

consider installing an antivirus software on your computer don't surf the net w/out one

I agree with you 1000%

i been surfing the net and caught a couple of viruses

but of course i caught them on purpose just to try out my nod32

and i have to say the Virus Scan is the best i've seen.