Some or other HP tower

bonestonne

ok, i kinda want to double check something before i go do something stupid. say i have this new HP tower, its got an AMD processor, 120GB HDD, CD burner, DVD reader, 512MB DDR RAM.

When you plug it in, the light on the back of the PSU blinks, when you unplug it, it continues blinking, slower and slower.

am i right in thinking the PSU may be dead? its for a friend, and he doesn't have a backup of his music, so i really does need it fixed. im not sure of its real age, or its model name, so i can't get more specific than i have.

any/all input is greatly appreciated.

When you plug it in, the PSU capacitors get loaded with power. Since you don't turn on the PC, when you unplug it the PSU light is discharging the capacitors, that's why you see the blinking getting slower and slower.

I had a HP tower due that about 5 years ago, the power supply flashes when it goes into protection mode. Lousy

little power supply, it was a micro-ATX rated at 115 watts.

Edited by RJM

Before replacing it you need to find out is if it's a custom pin-out. I'm not sure about HP's but I know that Dell uses a custom pin layout. The connector is a standard ATX type power connector, but the pins aren't standard so you have to purchase from Dell (or find one that's compatible). I recently had the same issue on an older P4 based HP Compaq I was working on for a friend. I found a compatible PSU online, ordered it, slapped it in and it worked without issue.

See if you can find the model number on the machine. If it's not on the front it should be on the back somewhere. Having the serial number may also help.

alright, tonight or tomorrow i'll be able to take a look at it and find out....when you push the power button, nothing happens...in my eyes, thats already an issue with the PSU, whether it be a short or anything else. its basically kept terribly, it needs to be cleaned up if anything...i guess thats on the to-do list for friday.

i just did a little math, its actually a 300W PSU with 73% efficiency [reason for only putting out 218W max].

now that i think of it, yea, i'll take a look at the pin layout compared to another PSU that i can bring in. i have two HP computer and haven't had an issue like that, however as this computer is much newer, i might as well check, no use is blowing money unless its going to work.

-------------------

i found out that its an HP a510n, i was looking into some Power related issues with it, i'll look more into it tomorrow because i'll be able to get to it briefly, which will give me time to email HP asking them about the PSU, i also need to know if its still under warrantee...what fun.

Edited by bonestonne