What about a Free Package Manager

bj-kaiser

Since I'm using various Linux Distributions on quite a regular base, it has dawned to me what I really miss in Windows. A package manager similar to those used with Debian's APT or Redhat's RPM system.

I just hate it (since I use Windows with a regular non-administrative account) having to log in as admin and either download every new update for the various programs I use by hand or click me through every application's update procedure.

The question is, is there anything similar to the Linux package managers out there and freely available (= no $$) or would there be interest in such a thing if it doesn't exist already.

If there isn't anything like that out there, would you trust a application downloading packages from a FTP server that's not under your control?

With the Linux package systems that's all quite normal, but who would do that running Windows?

EDIT:

To clarify what I would like to know:

Do you think there would be any interest in such a package manager and repository, even if it would be only for freeware and open source software? (looking at my system, there is a lot of that: Mozilla FF and TB, 7zip, PuTTY, OpenOffice.org, Notepad++, AutoIt, AutoHotKey, VLC, etc.) Now imagine you could manage and update that all in one place by pressing 2 buttons.

That's what I would like to see and I would like to know what you think about it.

Edited by bj-kaiser

Well, I've Googled through the forums and I can't find it but there is something similar that someone has already produced within the past year. I'll look again and if I find it, I'll post.

DL

i think it works on linux because its a little more complicated to install software then on windows. I dont think there would be much demand to have something like that on windows.

The closest thing I've found is filehippo.com Update Checker . This is a .Net 2.0 application that will scan your system and check for updates to installed software.

You could also write a script to check for installed versions of various applications and make sure the latest version is intalled. This is a lot of work up front and only worth it if you need to updated a lot of computers.

i think it works on linux because its a little more complicated to install software then on windows. I dont think there would be much demand to have something like that on windows.

My personal opinion is, that it's harder (on a private) Windows PC to install and keep you software up-to-date than with one of Linux package managers (given all your programs are available through repositories).

What you have now is, you go through every program (as admin) and click the "Update" menu entry. What I want is to have one place, one button, to update (almost) everything you have software-wise. That should work by reading version information of the current installed software from the registry or a database and comparing this information to a database downloaded from a server.

That's why I got this idea at first. For business use, there are enough deployment solutions like NetInstall, pushing software with ADS etc., but I didn't find something for the use at home.

Well I tried searching through the forums again for what was similar to what you ask but couldn't find it.

Do you think there would be any interest in such a package manager and repository, even if it would be only for freeware and open source software? (looking at my system, there is a lot of that: Mozilla FF and TB, 7zip, PuTTY, OpenOffice.org, Notepad++, AutoIt, AutoHotKey, VLC, etc.) Now imagine you could manage and update that all in one place by pressing 2 buttons.

That's what I would like to see and I would like to know what you think about it.

The program I remember someone setting up checked for newer versions of programs and would download them but that is a bit different than what you are talking about.

My guess is that there would be some interest in a program and repository such as what you have described. Press a button and the program checks for updates on server, tick desired boxes on list, hit enter and they are installed. The main concern I can see is if someone manages to grab a hacked version of such a program.

DL

• 3 weeks later...

One such program is AppSnap.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...s/AppSnap.shtml

(Author webpage is down though...:()

Really a great application for checking new apps versions and upgrading them silently.

You can even add your own if you're ready to create a new entry for it!

The author is really open for comments here:

http://code.google.com/p/appsnap/issues/list