About AUTOEXEC.BAT

plonkeroo :hello: :

Oh-Tay! I think I understand!

You are either "Restarting in MS-DOS Mode" (most probable) or you are (at an F8 at startup) starting the "Previous version of MS-DOS" (not likely).

from another website:

When you restart your computer by choosing the "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode" option in the Shut Down Windows dialog box, Windows closes all running programs, removes itself from memory, and then starts a real- mode command prompt. If the Use Current MS-DOS Configuration option is selected in the "Exit to DOS.pif" file that is used to restart the computer in MS-DOS mode, the Dosstart.bat file in the Windows folder is processed. If the Specify A New MS-DOS Configuration option is selected, the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files listed in the "Exit to DOS.pif" file are used instead of the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files in the root folder.
two links provided in above quote:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...RCH&SPR=W98

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q138/9/96.ASP

The above is in reference to "Restarting in MS-DOS". You must not have exactly set up what you need.

If you installed Win98SE via

- FDISK

- FORMAT

- COPY WIN98 folder to somewhere on the HDD

- Run SETUP from the HDD

Then you will erroneously have the option to "Previous Version" set in MSDOS.SYS. Theoretically, you should be starting normally... unless you did

- FORMAT /S

in which case you will get hosed and will will have to have a RESETDOS.BAT file like I have (for when I install MS-DOS then Win9x on top). Info also from MS and other sources:

REM RELEASE DOS FOR RENAME
REM
ATTRIB C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\CONFIG.SYS -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\IO.SYS -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\MSDOS.SYS -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\COMMAND.COM -R -A -S -H
REM
REM RELEASE WINDOWS FOR RENAME
REM
ATTRIB C:\AUTOEXEC.W40 -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\CONFIG.W40 -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\WINBOOT.SYS -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\MSDOS.W40 -R -A -S -H
ATTRIB C:\COMMAND.W40 -R -A -S -H
REM
REM RENAME DOS BACK
REM
REN C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.DOS
REN C:\CONFIG.SYS CONFIG.DOS
REN C:\IO.SYS IO.DOS
REN C:\MSDOS.SYS MSDOS.DOS
REN C:\COMMAND.COM COMMAND.DOS
REM
REM RENAME WINDOWS BACK
REM
REN C:\AUTOEXEC.W40 AUTOEXEC.BAT
REN C:\CONFIG.W40 CONFIG.SYS
REN C:\WINBOOT.SYS IO.SYS
REN C:\MSDOS.W40 MSDOS.SYS
REN C:\COMMAND.W40 COMMAND.COM
ECHO ---------
ECHO REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER
ECHO ---------

Since I am not really sure of your sequence of events or other (if any) modifications (per the first scenario), then this is the best I can help. Read the above articles carefully then look into what you have set up. Chances are that you are unintentionally "wiping" your AUTOEXEC.BAT due to incomplete/erroneous setup for what you want to do (play an MS-DOS based game perhaps?).

Hope this helps you sort it out... bet it will! Cheers, mate!

edit: almost forgot... depending on which WinME "tweaks", you may have caused the above to happen as well (I insist!). Also, noting that you have an AUTOEXEC.DOS, this implies scenario #2 may come into play. Do a Google search on it; MS website will tell you more... I also believe MDGx has this kind of stuff posted on his website. Final note - "Exit to DOS.pif" mods may get you in conjunction with other mods; haven't tried it, but changing the Properties of this to "Close on Exit" checked MIGHT not allow a correct restart (you must "EXIT" from that mode manually), thereby creating an empty AUTOEXEC.BAT.

edit2: According to MDGx, in Win98/ME the above RESETDOS.BAT (which is for Win95) would have to have the following mod: change occurrences of "WINBOOT.SYS" to "JO.SYS".

edit3: I'll be dippered!!! Just tested DOS/Win311 dual-boot with Win98SE... when you use "Previous Version", the file names do in fact change, BUT when you reboot and choose "Normal".... Voila! Back to normal. Ergo, use ResetDos.bat for Win95 only!

edit4: Here's something that may or may not have to do with it as well:

"MS-DOS Does Not Properly Process Hard Disk Hardware Errors"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311561

I have it installed... worth a shot? (p.s. have you installed AutoPatcher? If so, you should already have this)

Edited by submix8c