Vista on a single CD

corti

Hi to all!

Maybe is this question already pesent in this forum :rolleyes:

How to make this?

When i try to remove some applications (like windows media player, windows defender, oriental languages ....) the ISO file will never smaller that 1-1,5 GB.

Thanks for the answer(s) and sorry for my english :blushing:

Maybe is this question already pesent in this forum

Yes, it is ;) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/Fit_Vista_single_CD_t96980.html

Basically you need to remove EVERYTHING or very nearly to everything to fit onto 650÷700 Mb.

Don't take the following as an offence, and you seem like having used a wise approach to vlite but I see this is your first post, so a few points might be of help, as with vlite I am seeing exactly the same trend that has been on the board for nlite, I don't want to "scare" you, but:

1) nlite and vlite have the goal to remove UNWANTED stuff, once the staff has been removed IT IS GONE (a large number of users first thing remove everything, then post something like "this or that does not work in the build, how can I re-add this or that" )

2) There is NO practical way to re-add something to nlited/vlited installs, though it is possible, it is very hard to do, and best option is to REBUILD with more appropriate settings.

3) There is NO fail-safe settings (unless you choose not to remove ANYTHING) these very good programs cannot read the mind of the user and warn him he is removing something he will later need.

4) the reduced size of install files is a SIDE EFFECT of the removal procedure, to fit into a certain amount of space you will need to remove LOTS of things. The more things you remove quite obviously, the more it is probable that something will be missing.

5) There is an initial rather steep learning curve, you'll have to make several attempts before finding out which settings are the right ones for your custom build. WRITE DOWN your settings or SAVE the build logs, so that you can review them and (hopefully) find out what you missed in your previous failed attempt.

6) Do browse the board in the appropriate section, even posts seemingly unrelated to your problem can offer a small hint about what could have gone wrong.

7) Take your time, but don't be afraid of testing your customized settings, with today's PC speed it is a matter of minutes to rebuild and test, possibly in a VM like Qemu or VirtualBox, if you are lucky (and you are not going trying to reduce to the minimum the size) you might be able to get what you want in a few attempts. Usually a step by step approach, progressively increasing the number of removed components is the one that "pays" the better. As soon as the new build under test is found missing something you need, you check the differences against last working one, and usually, with some common sense, it is possible to determine which of the few components you added to removal list could be the culprit. Looking for it in a list of tens of removed components can be, again quite obviously, really daunting.

9) Don't give up, maybe you are just one little tickbox away from your "perfect" build

8) But do control yourself, "liting" an OS can become an addictive habit ;)

10) Have fun, that's the main thing. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Maybe is this question already pesent in this forum

Yes, it is ;) :

http://www.msfn.org/board/Fit_Vista_single_CD_t96980.html

Basically you need to remove EVERYTHING or very nearly to everything to fit onto 650÷700 Mb.

Don't take the following as an offence, and you seem like having used a wise approach to vlite but I see this is your first post, so a few points might be of help, as with vlite I am seeing exactly the same trend that has been on the board for nlite, I don't want to "scare" you, but:

1) nlite and vlite have the goal to remove UNWANTED stuff, once the staff has been removed IT IS GONE (a large number of users first thing remove everything, then post something like "this or that does not work in the build, how can I re-add this or that" )

2) There is NO practical way to re-add something to nlited/vlited installs, though it is possible, it is very hard to do, and best option is to REBUILD with more appropriate settings.

3) There is NO fail-safe settings (unless you choose not to remove ANYTHING) these very good programs cannot read the mind of the user and warn him he is removing something he will later need.

4) the reduced size of install files is a SIDE EFFECT of the removal procedure, to fit into a certain amount of space you will need to remove LOTS of things. The more things you remove quite obviously, the more it is probable that something will be missing.

5) There is an initial rather steep learning curve, you'll have to make several attempts before finding out which settings are the right ones for your custom build. WRITE DOWN your settings or SAVE the build logs, so that you can review them and (hopefully) find out what you missed in your previous failed attempt.

6) Do browse the board in the appropriate section, even posts seemingly unrelated to your problem can offer a small hint about what could have gone wrong.

7) Take your time, but don't be afraid of testing your customized settings, with today's PC speed it is a matter of minutes to rebuild and test, possibly in a VM like Qemu or VirtualBox, if you are lucky (and you are not going trying to reduce to the minimum the size) you might be able to get what you want in a few attempts. Usually a step by step approach, progressively increasing the number of removed components is the one that "pays" the better. As soon as the new build under test is found missing something you need, you check the differences against last working one, and usually, with some common sense, it is possible to determine which of the few components you added to removal list could be the culprit. Looking for it in a list of tens of removed components can be, again quite obviously, really daunting.

9) Don't give up, maybe you are just one little tickbox away from your "perfect" build

8) But do control yourself, "liting" an OS can become an addictive habit ;)

10) Have fun, that's the main thing. :)

jaclaz

Very good advise