monitor technology

colore

hello!

what will need to be done in order to say that reading/watching a monitor is as tiring for the eyes as reading/watching a paper/photo

what is left for monitor technology to reach perfect vision for the eye? more brightness? less dot pitch size? more contrast? higher refresh rates? what?

thanks!

It'll be tiring as long as it is a source of light. The best option would be e-paper / electronic ink. e-paper doesn't emit light and its as close as you can get to a real paper. Currently, e-paper only supports black and white and isn't suitable for movies and such, but I suppose in the future this could improve :)

he did use it literally, but i dont think you read the question.

"is there a comparison of each types of displays as for eye tiring ?"

"CRT > Plasma > LCD > OLED > Projector > E-Paper"

a CRT is the most eye tiring.

very interesting

is there OLED for PC?

and something else, I cant understand how projectors can produce high quality images... (most projectors I have used/seen produce crappy images)

is there OLED for PC?

Large screen OLED display prototypes have been made but yet to be manufactured on large scale.

how projectors can produce high quality images... (most projectors I have used/seen produce crappy images)

Ever been to a movie theater? :P

There are also self-correcting projectors - they have a camera attached to them so it can get a constant feedback of the quality of the projection. If it finds any differences between the source image and projected image, it'll correct it automatically. So for instance, you're pointing it to a corner of a wall, it'll detect the bent image and readjust the projected image such that it won't appear bent! It'll also check the color, luminosity, hue etc, and adjust those values accordingly - so you could be projecting on a red colored wall for eg, so it'll adjust the other color values accordingly to make the image normal :)

Edited by [deXter]

Cool.

What do you guys have to say about LCDs?

I'm in the market for a high contrast LCD. Higher the better. Response time.... meh. Contrast and color reproduction is more crucial to me.

Anything like a plasma monitor? They have fantastic contrast.

is there OLED for PC?

Large screen OLED display prototypes have been made but yet to be manufactured on large scale.

this article is from 2005... any new info??

Cool.

I'm in the market for a high contrast LCD. Higher the better. Response time.... meh. Contrast and color reproduction is more crucial to me.

I thought plasma monitors were producing lower quality display than LCD's...

is there OLED for PC?

this article is from 2005... any new info??

Cool.

I thought plasma monitors were producing lower quality display than LCD's...

There has been no news about that since 2005.

As for plasmas, they do have high contrast (about 5000:1 compared to the 500:1 of LCDs :P), are very accurate in reproducing colors and look great in sunlight too. But they don't have a high resolution and you can't have a Plasma Display of less than 37 inches - so they're not ideal for computer usage. Plasmas are also power guzzlers - they use more power than a CRT display - atleast 700W+ !

You can't necessarily equate a 5000:1 contrast ratio on a Plasma to even a 1000:1 contrast ration on an LCD. Heck...sometimes you can't even compare constrast ratios between different LCD models. What you have to realize is that the "1" part of the ratio isn't equal on all of them. They all quote ratios, but none of them quote what the baseline (the "1") of the ratio is.

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

You can't necessarily equate a 5000:1 contrast ratio on a Plasma to even a 1000:1 contrast ration on an LCD. Heck...sometimes you can't even compare constrast ratios between different LCD models. What you have to realize is that the "1" part of the ratio isn't equal on all of them. They all quote ratios, but none of them quote what the baseline (the "1") of the ratio is.

Ok....

Then in your opinion, which LCD comes closest to Plasma in terms of color and contrast?

Ones you can buy without selling your house.