Cloning An Xp Drive

wolfman

Hi,

I wanted to clone my primary XP hard drive to a bigger one, so I bought DriveImage 7 to do the job.

It did it fine, but when I booted on the new hard drive, windows XP yielded

"A Problem is Preventing Windows from Accurately Checking the License for this Computer - 0x80090006", all legit softwares however. Then XP stops booting.

Microsoft says that each time XP boots, it computes a hash of the hard drive's ID, and if it does not correspond to the one saved, it will not boot. I searched on the net as well, nothing useful is said either.

Any ideas? Especially from people who had the same problem and solved it without re-installing everything or losing system settings.

Cheers.

Hey, never bother guys, I found this on the net (thanks Tony).

Hope this helps you if you encountered the same problem.

-------------------------------------

This is not a problem because I have done the very same thing. I use to have

a copy of WinME on a 27GB drive and a copy of WinXP on a 6GB drive. Once I

was happy with XP I wanted to swap it to the 27GB drive because it was

faster.

I have used BootItNG from www.bootitng.com as my paritioning tool and boot

manager for several years, and this allows each OS to see itself as drive C:

when it is booted. The only problem with swapping XP to a different drive is

that it records a signature for each partition, and if it sees its original

partition at boot time it will take this as drive C: and assign itself the

next available drive letter, such as D. This causes the following error

message to appear:

"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the licence for

this computer. Error code: 0x80090006"

This can cause problems to arise in the following situations:

- A bootable Win2K/XP partition is duplicated and the original partition is

in the MBR at the time the duplicated partition is booted.

- You slide or move a bootable Win2K/XP partition and another partition is

added or moved to start where the bootable Win2K/XP partition was.

The method I used to clear the disk signatures was to run BootItNG then do

the following:

- Enter the "Work with Partitions" Dialog.

- Choose the correct hard drive.

- Click the "View MBR" button

- Click the "Clear Sig" button

- Click the "Apply" button.

Now you can boot into XP in its new position. If BootMagic does not allow

you to do this then I suggest that you throw it away and by BootItNG

instead.

Hope this helps.

Tony Marston

-------------------------------------

We use Symantec Ghost v7.5 Enterprise. We tried using Drive Image, but as a friend of mine says, it's one big steaming pile of (insert expletive here). We have never had a problem with Ghost, and have used it to image serveral thousand drives. Look into it.

• 1 month later...

I tried BootIt NG after reading the suggestion above. What a great program - it fixed my

"A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the licence for this computer. Error code: 0x80090006"

problem and also another boot sector related problem which prevented a cloned machine from booting in to Windows XP.

I've added to my essential utilities :)

Howdy guys! I do not know about any of these other products, but I use Partition Magic 8 and it works like a champ EVERY TIME! When I copy the partition over to another drive, it reboots with no errors or anything. Just my two cents. :) geb

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok guy's, I'm stuck...

I am upgrading my 80Gb SATA to a 160Gb SATA and I have the same problem listed here... 'A problem is preventing windows yada yada yada'

I'm stuck, can someone please tell me in english, what I need to do to get this to boot off my new HD ?

I used windows Ghost, and the copy went fine, the drive is there and intact..

It still won't let me boot in to it however...

Please don't repeat anything that's already been typed in this post, as I don't understand half of it as it is, ENGLISH !!!! please....

I assumed ghost would do it as others here have said they use ghost and it works for them, so why isn't it working ?

Anybody ?

Thanks for that response Bowtie, but it's not the BIOS..

After the Ghost 'Clone' the computer reboots, at that time I pulled the lead for the original boot drive and placed it in the new drive, so it's on the same physical location on the Promise SATA bus as the original boot drive was... the original drive is no longer connected...

It finds it ok, it boots ok, but when windows loads I get this confounded 'A problem is preventing windows checking the licence on this 'puter'

I have tried this umpteen times without success now, same thing every time..

On my Apple G5 I just need to select everything on the HD and copy it to a new HD, it will then boot from that HD without complaining... No tools needed..

Can someone tell me how to config Ghost to do this as the straight Clone does NOT work !

Or tell me what I need to do to this drive to get it to boot from the Clone I already have on it ?

Will FixMBR from Command Console fix it ?

Or do I need to use one of the SID changing utils out there that I don't really understand ? Symantecs web site said that SID Changer was part of Ghost and I'm at a complete loss as to why this ain't working...

Have not used Ghost in a while. as I have moved on from it. However, when I did use it, it included a utility called "gdisk". You would boot from your ghost disk and run "gdisk /mbr" to rewrite the mbr for Ghost. Try it on the drive already cloned ---won't hurt and may help.

I use have been using Ghost 2002 and Ghost 2003 and PQ Drive image 5 since XP arrived. Sometimes with a corrupted drive I will not be able to clone or image a drive but usually one or the other will work. I have never had a problem with Windows rejecting the new drive. In fact, often I will set up a new installation of XP on one of my drives to be sure that the computer is going to be happy with it before I clone it to the machine that I am working on.