IE 7 - Not a valid win32 application!

kenlau

I am using HFSlip 1.4.2 and being trying unsuccessfully to integrate IE 7 for the past couple of weeks.

It is a strange problem.

I ran HFSlip successfully, with no errors. When I use the ISO to install Windows XP, IE 7 is not installed. Browsing to the Svcpack folder, I can find the IE7_Inst.exe file, but the file has no icon. Running the file give me an error message "This is not a valid win32 application."

Originally, I thought maybe my hotfixes was corrupted, so I re-download all the hotfixes again. Still no go.

Then I use a new copy of Windows XP. That did not work either. Then I get use another copy of Windows XP, OEM for my Acer notebook. When that also did not work, then plainly I exhausted all alternatives.

Bear in mind it all used to work but all the sudden, it does not.

Attached is my hfslip.log file.

Sure appreciate any help I can get on this one.

-------------------------------------------------------

I tried using RyanVM update pack and integrator to create a copy of slipstreamed Windows. Then I put the IE7_Inst.exe created by HFSlip into the svcpack directory and what do you know, I still get the same error!

I think I finally figure out what went wrong. I think HFSlip must be taking something from the running OS when creating IE7_Inst.exe, and since I am running HFSlip from Windows XP x64, the resultant IE7_Inst.exe will not run on a Win 32 system. Let me check if my theory is correct.

HFSLIP.txt

Edited by kenlau

I am using HFSlip 1.4.2 and being trying unsuccessfully to integrate IE 7 for the past couple of weeks.

It is a strange problem.

I ran HFSlip successfully, with no errors. When I use the ISO to install Windows XP, IE 7 is not installed. Browsing to the Svcpack folder, I can find the IE7_Inst.exe file, but the file has no icon. Running the file give me an error message "This is not a valid win32 application."

Originally, I thought maybe my hotfixes was corrupted, so I re-download all the hotfixes again. Still no go.

Then I use a new copy of Windows XP. That did not work either. Then I get use another copy of Windows XP, OEM for my Acer notebook. When that also did not work, then plainly I exhausted all alternatives.

Bear in mind it all used to work but all the sudden, it does not.

Attached is my hfslip.log file.

Sure appreciate any help I can get on this one.

-------------------------------------------------------

I tried using RyanVM update pack and integrator to create a copy of slipstreamed Windows. Then I put the IE7_Inst.exe created by HFSlip into the svcpack directory and what do you know, I still get the same error!

I think I finally figure out what went wrong. I think HFSlip must be taking something from the running OS when creating IE7_Inst.exe, and since I am running HFSlip from Windows XP x64, the resultant IE7_Inst.exe will not run on a Win 32 system. Let me check if my theory is correct.

Sometimes, the web browser will lie about the download being finished!

If the file isn't at least 10 MB, declare a download failure!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Yeap..

The problem is running HFSlip on x64 system, and not due to corrupted hotfixes. Note in my original posting, I re-download all hotfixes and extract them just to be sure that they are not corrupted.

I just use HFSlip again on a x32 system, and it all goes OK.

Funny thing is that previously, I used x64 before and it always work without any problems. I think it is only when HFSlip tries to repack IE7 that is utilizes some system file which created this error. Another clue is that I can actually view and install the created IE7_Inst. exe file on my x64 system, but not on my x32. All the clues was staring at me in the face, but it really took me a while to see the logic.

I hope this help anybody that come across the same problem.

HFSLIP uses iexpress.exe from your SYSTEM32 folder to create the IE7_INST.EXE installer. Possibly, the version on XP x64 creates a 64-bit installer which is incompatible with a 32-bit OS.

I guess I could allow people to place a 32-bit version in the HFTOOLS folder since it's only used for this occasion, but is it a standalone application? I'll do this in the next test release.