Virus?

Problem: I can no longer drag icons on the desktop, can no longer copy/cut/paste anything at all, and when i minimize windows they disappear completely and I am left alt+ctrl+tabbing and double clicking to bring them back up. It seems as though certain processes are just not recognized. I have no clue as to what is needed to remedy this situation and it is extremely annoying so I decided to just start over. I popped in the OS cd and it says it cannot install because "atwlwrf0.sys" is missing.

Anyone have any thoughts on what needs to be done if anything can be done at all? Do I need to buy a new hard drive? Like I said I have no clue. Thank you all in advance for any input that you might have

Crow

Thank you for such quick responses. I forgot to mention that I tried to System Restore and brings up a message saying "System Restore is Unable to protect your computer". Nitro, as far as antimalware is concerned there are many different apps that could be used - is there one in particular that is THE best or are they all more or less the same? Aviv, I am about to add a new user....will let you know what happens. Thank you.

Spyware:

Download, install and update both Ad-Aware SE Personal v1.06R1 and Spybot S&D v1.4. Do full system scans with both and clean/fix any infections they report.

Viruses:

Download, install and update Kaspersky Anti-Virus v6.0.2.621. Do a full system scan and let it clean anything it reports. Reboot if an infection cannot be initially cleaned/deleted.

Kaspersky's trial lasts 30 days. If you wish to use this product for one year legally, use the AOL version labeled ActiveVirusShield.

Note: For ActiveVirusShield, enter your e-mail address here for a free 1-year activation code. Your e-mail will not be subjected to spam.

If you prefer freeware then fill in this form for a free registration code to use Avast! Home Edition v4.7.

For more information about anti-virus products, please visit http://www.av-comparatives.org.