MSN 8.1 and 7.5 Problem

Nepsyde

ok i install msn on xp and it works perfectly because i have a legit xp but i do not have a legit vista tho i am still testing it to see if i should get it. i am thinking of getting a new pc for vista tho but anyways i always use msn and been trying to go online with msn but i keep getting the same error over and over. Error: 80048820, sorry we were unable to sign you into the msn messenger at this time please try again later. i have tried both 8.1 and 7.5 version on vista and it still doesn't work. i have been using web messenger and its starting to get annoying using it. i did apply the clock stopper crack for vista tho but all my times and dates are all the same even on bios and at the bottom. i have gone thru numerous websites telling me to put this into run command etc but still it doesn't sign in. i use a http proxy and it auto detects because of internet explorer.

if anyone could help it would be soooooooooo awesome...

cheers in advance

@3aces

Although he admits he is using a non-legit copy of vista, the problem he is facing is not related to the operating system, it is either a msn messenger issue or a connection issue. He wasn't / isn't asking / giving details about cracking vista. Please don't be so jumpy next time.

@Nepsyde

Is your connection to the internet working at all? In msn messenger you have the option to set up a http proxy, have you tried that? And last but not the least, next time before posting here, please take 1 minute to read the rules. Thank you.

@nepsyde if you have a router to connect you to the internet you can try the following...

Type the following on the commandline and reboot:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted

If MSN still can not connect after reboot, then a bit more rigoreous:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Again reboot and if MSN still can not connect, then this is a different issue and you can restore the setting with:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Issues I had with MSN and Vista, and Office 2007.

MSN mail would crash constantly, I could read e-mail but creating/sending rarely worked.

Signing on often shows errors, must re-try multiple times then it works. Don't know if latest release fixed that because I switched back to XP.

No spell checker available for MSN with Office 2007, must use Office 2000 or 2003. So if you do get your e-mail working there's no spell check, you must compose in Word then cut and paste. This is true with XP SP2 also and Office 2007. I re-loaded XP after about 2 months of Vista due to these problems plus poor drivers/gaming ability of Vista. I like Vista but they need to fix some things before it goes back on my system.

No Office Outlook Connector available for Office 2007, must use Office 2003. Office 2007 can import MSN mail but I can't set up rules to forward etc. Working with MSN through Office 2007 is slow but at least it doesn't crash and I can spell check now (that is under XP.)

ok i even got my friend to get me a fresh legit cd key from his work (works for a telecommunication company) for vista and tried reinstalling with the new cd key. everything is nicely updated and activated thanks to my friend who has few keys that are spare. anyways blah blah blah i went to command promt than typed the following things

1st: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=restricted

2nd: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

3rd: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

and all three i get the same error: "Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires elevation"

does it mean it requires a higher user right like admin? theres only one account that is mine and its admin also.

o yes and i have tried numerous times to re type all my proxy settings in Internet explorer but i still get same error on msn. my internet explorer connects everything perfectly but not msn. my clock time is perfect also Thursday 12th april, 7:23pm so i am just getting lost here on what i am doing wrong.

any solutions?

thank you all for trying tho...

Edited by Nepsyde

• 2 weeks later...

and all three i get the same error: "Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires elevation"

All you have to do is disable UAC. To do this run msconfig, find tab Utilities (or smth), and run "Disable User Account Control" command. Then reboot you PC and it should work.