New Motherboard upgrade with Vista

Stead

well, this is a pointless thread really, I just wanted to say, last week I upgraded my motherboard, thought id' have to reinstall windows, so made a new vlite cd, ready to go as it started up but for curiousities sake i just let windows boot, ... and it did! it took about 5 minutes installing all the new devices and there was a huge list of things it had installed, rebooted worked fine!

All in all, i was quite shocked at the fact it worked, and secondly i've been using my computer for over a week and changing the motherboad seems to of affected nothing, I know i've done it in xp before, but I used to have to go into safe mode and uninstall all the drivers and the time you done that it would be quicker to reinstall..maybe...and then usually it wouldn't seem to work as well i found.

• 3 weeks later...

well, this is a pointless thread really, I just wanted to say, last week I upgraded my motherboard, thought id' have to reinstall windows, so made a new vlite cd, ready to go as it started up but for curiousities sake i just let windows boot, ... and it did! it took about 5 minutes installing all the new devices and there was a huge list of things it had installed, rebooted worked fine!

All in all, i was quite shocked at the fact it worked, and secondly i've been using my computer for over a week and changing the motherboad seems to of affected nothing, I know i've done it in xp before, but I used to have to go into safe mode and uninstall all the drivers and the time you done that it would be quicker to reinstall..maybe...and then usually it wouldn't seem to work as well i found.

It surprises many people when this works. It shouldn't - Windows is actually pretty good at booting, as long as you plan ahead a bit:

1. If your new machine has a different and incompatible HAL type, XP won't be bootable after the motherboard change. There's no quick workaround for this.

2. If your motherboard has a different IDE controller (and it will - the vast majority of the time) you'll want to put your IDE controller driver to "PCI Standard IDE" before you shut it down for the last time with the old motherboard. Obviously, your new motherboard *must* be able to boot with the standard PCI IDE driver; as long as you don't put the controller in a RAID mode, you should be fine.

Vista adds new drivers to the mix, and removes the HAL issue, so #2 is really what matters with it.