Win2003 SP2 tcpip.sys patch

Since I cannot find a connection limit (to add more than 10 simultaneous connections) patch to tcpip.sys on Windows 2003 Server, I tried the old LvlLord's patcher and it seems to be working.

I also tried to confirm this on xp-Antispy by clicking on the menu Special -> Connection Limit... and it already shows 50 connections and looks patched nicely.

Can anybody confirm this using other means?

The limit is for 10 simultaneous half open connections. You want to limit those because it can be a DoS vector...

Oops... :blushing:

I had a totally different "grasp" on tcpip.sys patching. Thanks nmX.Memnoch and nitroshift for clearing this for me.

You mean 2003 SP2 would still be considerable fast (also for file sharing) even if I don't increase the "10 simultaneous half open connections"? I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed just a little bit of decrease in network performance after I upgraded to SP2.

You mean 2003 SP2 would still be considerable fast (also for file sharing) even if I don't increase the "10 simultaneous half open connections"? I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed just a little bit of decrease in network performance after I upgraded to SP2.

Yes, it will still be fine. To be honest, I'm not even sure if Server 2003 has this limit imposed (although I would think it would).

The network performance drop that you noticed was probably because XP SP2 turned the firewall on. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Half open connections being limited does however limit the speed in which I do vulnerability scanning (Harris Stat Guardian and Retina) .

So I do patch my TCPIP at least I did in XP Server seemed to have been higher limit but I haven't checked as of SP2.