asus with onboard hd audio.. soundmax ?

fishbait182

i just got my new system up and running finally completed (well kind of) it has an asus m2n am2 socket motherboard with onboard hd audio. the driver for the audio that came on the cd with my motherboard is soundMAX and it seems weird. sound levels settings are always being messed up on their own and sometimes sound will not come out of my speakers at all. i am wondering what i have to do to fix this problem or if i am allowed to install a different driver ?i am running windows xp by the way. thanks for any help.

p.s. i am also having a hardware compatibility problem between the motherboard and nzxt case that i bought. it does not have anything to do with windows so i did not think it would be right to start a topic about this seperate problem if anyone is curious about the details just send me mail and i will send back the details the best that i can.

AMD is known to have poor driver support for XP, which is partly why i'm stalling my Athlon build.

maybe someone who's running an AMD could shed light on this, i'm an intel buff, but i know about the driver issues..you may want to look into it.

i looked into it but its kind of confusing to me this is the first computer i have built and theres something all over the internet about windows xp high definition sound package.. or something like that, i dont know if i need to install something extra to xp to make the soundMAX drivers compatible or what...

AMD is known to have poor driver support for XP, which is partly why i'm stalling my Athlon build.

maybe someone who's running an AMD could shed light on this, i'm an intel buff, but i know about the driver issues..you may want to look into it.

that's impressive that the fact that AMD has problems with XP drivers would affect a sound card. Fact is, AMD driver support and sound card driver support have very little, if anything, to do with each other. Proof: I have soundmax HD audio on my asus INTEL based board.

My experience with soundmax is, their included bundled applications are terrible and god awful. Their drivers have never given me any problems though. If you can, only install the driver and skip any extra software that they ship with it and attempt to only install the driver.

And also, saying AMD has issues with drivers on XP is complete FUD. I'm running 3 boxes built on AMD platforms, all of which are running XP and I've never so much as had to think about platform drivers for the processor or the chipset. Now chipset drivers for my latest core 2 laptop on XP is a different story...

On your motherboard support CD you will find a folder named MSHDQFE which contains a kb executable. Install that first then update your sound drivers.

so what do i need to do before i do what you have mentioned? i hope i will not need to reformat or anything. but i dont have much experience with drivers. this is the first system i have built... thanks for the help

...i dont have much experience with drivers.

You download and install DriverMax, open it, it will search for all your device drivers, you select the desired one and back it up to a folder. The next time you want to install that device, you just use the backup. This is what we do to avoid all the software bundles that comes with some of today's drivers, such as webcam drivers. Logitech Image Studio anyone? :rolleyes:

...i dont have much experience with drivers.

You download and install DriverMax, open it, it will search for all your device drivers, you select the desired one and back it up to a folder. The next time you want to install that device, you just use the backup. This is what we do to avoid all the software bundles that comes with some of today's drivers, such as webcam drivers. Logitech Image Studio anyone? :rolleyes:

ok i will get the drivermax and unistall the soundMAX driver then install only the drivers.. i think i can handle that