Can I slipstream Windows Desktop Search and Windows Defender?

Sgt_Strider

Can those files go to the HF folder even though they're not critical updates?

Edit: Also where does the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) go?

If I install/slipstream .Net Framework 3.0, then I don't need 2.0 or 1.1 right?

Edited by Sgt_Strider

hi Sgt_Strider!

desktop search - nope! i tried this though via HFSVCPACK but you have to follow the prompts when it comes up at T-13 ...

windows defender - you may try putting this in HFSVCPACK but is not supported if i'm not mistaken

dotnet3 - try creating silent installer here: Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20070201), Create silent switchless .NET installers for Win2K/XP/2K3 x86 then place in HFGUIRUNONCE ... you may still install dotnet11 after installing dotnet3 ... better yet merge dotnet11 & dotnet3 & still to be placed in HFGUIRUNONCE ... dotnet3 cannot be installed via HFSVCPACK ... this may help too for further reading: HFSLIP and .NET 1.1/2.0/3.0

btw, what i'm saying here is for XP ;)

Edited by Kiki Burgh

hi Sgt_Strider!

desktop search - nope! i tried this though via HFSVCPACK but you have to follow the prompts when it comes up at T-13 ...

windows defender - you may try putting this in HFSVCPACK but is not supported if i'm not mistaken

dotnet3 - try creating silent installer here: Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20070201), Create silent switchless .NET installers for Win2K/XP/2K3 x86 then place in HFGUIRUNONCE ... you may still install dotnet11 after installing dotnet3

btw, what i'm saying here is for XP ;)

Do I need .net framework 1.1 if I have version 3 though? Microsoft's website mentions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 as recommended updates even though I thought 3.0 supercedes 2.0 and 1.1. So there is no way to use HFSLIP to slipstream Windows Desktop Search and Defender?

i've edited my post a bit by adding another link & a few more notes (probably while i was replying & you have quoted me few seconds before i re-submitted it ... he! he! ... there are some apps that require presence of dotnet11 ... dotnet3 is dotnet2 + extras ... there are quite a few combos to try as discussed in the threads i posted ;) ... slipstreaming desktop search? --- nope ... perhaps not just yet

Windows Desktop Search is unsupported as a hotfix. All binaries inside this executable need to go into Program Files and a lot of them exceed the 8.3 file naming standard, so support would have to be hard-coded into HFSLIP. You should try to find an addon. I'll make one if I have the time.
Edited by Kiki Burgh

Do I need .net framework 1.1 if I have version 3 though? Microsoft's website mentions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 as recommended updates even though I thought 3.0 supercedes 2.0 and 1.1. So there is no way to use HFSLIP to slipstream Windows Desktop Search and Defender?

it depends. they are frameworks that certain applications depend upon. if you use Visual Studio .NET 2003, you need 1.1. Visual Studio Express Editions and Paint.NET requires 2.0. but since 3.0 actually contains 2.0, it's up to you. apps that depend on 2.0 should work with 3.0. personally, i haven't installed 3.0 since it's just 2.0 plus plus and i don't need the plus plus for now.

it depends. they are frameworks that certain applications depend upon. if you use Visual Studio .NET 2003, you need 1.1. Visual Studio Express Editions and Paint.NET requires 2.0. but since 3.0 actually contains 2.0, it's up to you. apps that depend on 2.0 should work with 3.0. personally, i haven't installed 3.0 since it's just 2.0 plus plus and i don't need the plus plus for now.

If I install just 3.0, then I should be fine for most applications; at least the latest ones right?

Windows Defender must go in HFGUIRUNONCE.

Regarding .NET, you can't slipstream KB928416. Use Tomcat's Silent .NET Maker to create a silent installer you can place in HFGUIRUNONCE. Refer to the other topics on that and you should have your questions answered.

I don't need to modify the file or anything? I just put the .exe file in HFGUIRUNONCE folder? Can I also put Windows Desktop Search in there?

Sgt_Strider: If I install just 3.0, then I should be fine for most applications; at least the latest ones right?

In principle, yes. But like I said, I only have 1.1 and 2.0, both installed at T-13, but I haven't installed 3.0 cause I don't need it at the moment so I can't say exactly if you won't get into problems... you can always try, my friend. :)

I don't need to modify the file or anything? I just put the .exe file in HFGUIRUNONCE folder? Can I also put Windows Desktop Search in there?
you don't need to ... just drop defender in HFGUIRUNONCE ... you may put desktop search in there too ;)

I guess if I'll have time I'll try putting desktop search in there as well.