Vista QFE slipstreaming

Doesnt work for me.

when i use a image edited with vlite, it says not valid PE.....

When i use a clean dvd, it runs an endless loop : Importing Hotfixes <> Installing Hotfixes <> Committing changes to image <> Importing Hotfixes <> Installing Hotfixes <> Committing changes to image etc. etc. etc.

ECHO.
ECHO Committing changes to image, Please Wait...
..\VistaUpdates\tools\imagex\imagex /commit /unmount ..\VistaUpdates\mount
set /a counter=%counter%+1
GOTO start
CLS

GOTO start, must be GOTO build ?

EDIT: changed GOTO start to GOTO build , and no more endless loop, now it works....

Edited by sp00f

Doesnt work for me.

when i use a image edited with vlite, it says not valid PE.....

When i use a clean dvd, it runs an endless loop : Importing Hotfixes <> Installing Hotfixes <> Committing changes to image <> Importing Hotfixes <> Installing Hotfixes <> Committing changes to image etc. etc. etc.

ECHO.
ECHO Committing changes to image, Please Wait...
..\VistaUpdates\tools\imagex\imagex /commit /unmount ..\VistaUpdates\mount
set /a counter=%counter%+1
GOTO start
CLS

GOTO start, must be GOTO build ?

EDIT: changed GOTO start to GOTO build , and no more endless loop, now it works....

Its because my builder was designed to update the whole untouched 32-Bit Retail image hence why there's a loop, it has to do each image in the install.wim one at a time so it will loop 7 times.

As for vlite, I've tested a custom vlite version with peimg and it works however you'll have to make some changes probably to the script to make it work for a custom version, ie. get rid of loop, fix image repack name etc.

Also maxXPsoft, you don't need BDD for peimg, all you need is the Servicing folder from the AIK which I included in my builder.

Edited by Arneh

i saw that it places a autounattended.xml in the sources map , but Vista doesnt look in maps only in the root, or on removable devices.

So what the use of that?

And can still use my own XML ?

i saw that it places a autounattended.xml in the sources map , but Vista doesnt look in maps only in the root, or on removable devices.

So what the use of that?

And can still use my own XML ?

The XML isn't too important as its just for installing the Malicious Software Removal Tool after Windows Setup which you can include in your own xml. There's no nice way to do it at the moment. About the \sources\ dir, have a look at:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

and you'll see that \sources\ is a place for autounattend.xml as well but I think I may have made a slight mistake with that and it should be called unattend.xml since it's not a windowsPE pass and it should be in a different dir. I didn't have a chance to test the unattend part. Nevertheless, if you stick your own xml in the root of the DVD, it will over-ride it and you can delete the one in sources before or after the ISO is built if you want.

In my opinion, Windows Defender updates and MRT really have no need to be integrated as they get updated all the time but they're there nevertheless.

Edited by Arneh

No matter what i try, MRT doesnt work.

i even implemented the part from your XML into mine, no go.

I mounted the image , and replaced the MRT.exe , with the latest version,no go.

Any other ideas?

I'm not using the MRT provided from Microsoft's Download Center if that's what you're trying to replace it with and afaik the latest version is the February one which is what I included. Perhaps the one you're trying to include doesn't have a /Q switch to it, but nevertheless I'm using the one specifically distributed via Windows Update for Vista only. I grabbed it from Software Distribution as it was updating.

Also, I tried it with an unattend that also had a skipeula bit and it seemed to work fine, ie. no further updates were shown via WinUpdate for MRT.

What my XML is trying to do is nothing unorthodox so if its all correct in the XML and where the MRT.exe is located, then it should work exactly as expected.

I'm going to start working on a newer version hopefully later today to make it a bit more flexible however it'll probably be a week at least before I have enough time to complete it and test all the parts. The version I originally released (v0.5) was only just an early preview pack to see how it all works for other users.

Edit: Just noticed the March MRT, will have a look at that later on as well.

Edited by Arneh

I mounted the wim and replaced the MRT in sys 32(unpacked)

And in the root of the dvd in the sources folder

Now it works

And where can i download the defender updates?

Edited by sp00f

I mounted the wim and replaced the MRT in sys 32(unpacked)

And in the root of the dvd in the sources folder

Now it works

And where can i download the defender updates?

And there are 2 new updates, but both .exe , how do i jandle those?

Tried with $OEM$ folder , but that doesnt work at all.

When your Vista install is updated from WU and you get new definition updates, new updates + new Defender engine go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\ to a randomly named folder. You'll notice which folder is the latest one by Date Modified. Those 3 files then in that folder are the ones to be replaced in the Integrator in the \x86\Defender\ folder or directly in the wim in:

\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Default\

and also in

\Windows\winsxs\x86_security-malware-windows-defender_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_5585eece5b4407f1\

There's no way to download/get the updates in any other way that I know of except for through WU/AU and WSUS.

Also, which updates are you talking about that are .exe?

Edited by Arneh

And there are 2 new updates, but both .exe , how do i handle those?

Tried with $OEM$ folder , but that doesnt work at all.

Which updates exactly?

Edit: I just noticed 929399, I don't have AU enabled hence why I hadn't noticed its an exe. I'll have a look at that and see what can be done but what other update are you talking about that's also an exe?

Edited by Arneh