Vista QFE slipstreaming

I apologize if this is a dupe topic or has been answered elsewhere I feel I've scoured the forum for hints or answers without luck so far.

Does anyone know how to slipstream the QFE's so that they are part of the OS on boot. Currently I'm doing this to update the base install:

imagex /mountrw install.wim 1 c:\mount

expand Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.msu -f:* c:\temp

pkgmgr /o:"c:\mount;c:\mount\windows" /l:c:\temp\logfile /n:c:\temp\Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.xml

imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

But all that appears to do is put the files in a placeholder and than run windows update on the local files once the system is up. Is real slipstreaming deprecated or am I missing something.

Thanks.

I apologize if this is a dupe topic or has been answered elsewhere I feel I've scoured the forum for hints or answers without luck so far.

Does anyone know how to slipstream the QFE's so that they are part of the OS on boot. Currently I'm doing this to update the base install:

imagex /mountrw install.wim 1 c:\mount

expand Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.msu -f:* c:\temp

pkgmgr /o:"c:\mount;c:\mount\windows" /l:c:\temp\logfile /n:c:\temp\Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.xml

imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

Hello sprack!

Do you use the Windows6.0-KB931573-x86.xml (and the other QFE-xml files) like it is, or do you change the path inside. Cause all paths inside the xml are starting with %configsetroot%.

I've replaced that with the path, where I've expanded the QFEs to. Than pkgmgr is trying to integrate them. But it fails for me at least. But I'm sill on RC1 here only.

Regards,

Martin

From a recent M$ post... I haven't tested it yet, but I hope it helps..

"The basic process is as follows:

1) On the technican system, mount the offline wim image to a temp folder

using imagex

imagex /mountrw c:\CustomWim\CustomImage.wim 1 c:\Mount_Point

2) Obtain the Vista updates and put them into another temporary Updates

folder. All Vista updates should be .MSU files

3) Use the Expand command to get to the .cab files within the .MSU update

files.

example:

expand c:\Updates\KB123456.msu c:\Updates /f:*

Several files will be extracted. We are only concerned with the specific

xxxKB123456-xxx.cab file (name will vary). Delete or ignore the

WSUSSCAN.cab, .xml's, and any other files extracted.

4) Create a temporary sandbox folder.

md c:\Sandbox

5) use Package Manager to inject the update to the offline image.

Start /w pkgmgr.exe /o:"c:\Mount_Point;c:\Mount_Point\Windows" /ip

/m:c:\\Updates\xxxKB123456-xxx.cab /s:c:\Sandbox

6) Confirm the install by echoing the errorlevel. It should be Zero.

Echo %errorlevel%

7 ) If running multiple package manager passes, empty the sandbox folder

after each pass.

rd /s /q c:\Sandbox

8 ) Unmount the offline image. (If at any time you make a mistake, just

umount the .wim image, *without* committing the changes to undo everything

and start over)

imagex /unmount /commit c:\Mount_Point

If you are installing multiple updates at the same time, repeat steps 3-7

for each update prior to unmounting the wim. When running multple Package

Manager installs it is important that the temporary Sandbox folder be empty

each time, otherwise temp files from previous installs are mixed into each

Package Manager install pass. "

Do you have a link for MS post?

And do you may know, if it does matter in which row you're installing the Updates?

Thanks 'n' regards

Martin

EDIT:

You don't have to look at the row, if you use one command line seperating the different cabs with ";". Haven't tested... just read in WAIK-Help.

Edited by FireGeier

To speed it up I did a perl script to do all the repetitive work, but I'm still hitting the brick wall about the QFE's being integrated with the install image. It is still just adding them to a cache and then installing at desktop.

Here's my perl code for those that care.

#!/usr/bin/perl -W

@a = `dir \/b *.msu`;

chomp @a;

foreach (@a) {

system("mkdir c:\\Vista_QFE\\tmp");

system("expand $_ -f:* c:\\Vista_QFE\\tmp");

my $x = `dir /s /b c:\\Vista_QFE\\tmp\\*.xml`;

chomp $x;

system("pkgmgr /o:\"c:\\mnt;c:\\mnt\\windows\" /l:c:\\Vista_QFE\\logfile /n:$x");

system("rmdir /s /q c:\\Vista_QFE\\tmp");

}

Hello sprack!

I can't read perl so I'm not sure if I understand the script right. But as far as I see you'll use the xml-files coming with cab-files behind each other - I'm may wrong here? :unsure:

But it's important that all packages (cab) will installed wihtin ONE xml-file if you're installing them with the answering file method cause than the dependency between the different packages will be checked.

I've tried out the method mentioned in post #4. I would prefere this way of integration, cause you don't need to handle with answer files. You need to link right to the folder with cabs only. WAIK help tells that it will check the dependency of the packages if you part them using ";". I've tried out to do that but it does install the first package of the list than only.

Here is, what I've tried out:

Start /w pkgmgr.exe /o:"c:\Mount_Point;c:\Mount_Point\Windows" /ip
/m:c:\Updates\xxxKB123456-xxx.cab;c:\Updates\xxxKB928089xxx-.cab;c:\Updates\xxxKB929777xxx-.cab /s:c:\Sandbox

This example will install KB123456 only. And it will not handle the other tow. I get no error message using %errorlevel%. But if I check the log and the image only KB123456 is installed.

The method runs fine installing one package only - but than I can't check dependency.

Can anybody confirm that behaviour or do I may use the wrong syntax. I've found no example for that in WAIK-help. All examples are with one package only.

Thanks n regards,

Martin

i just use WUSA.EXE to install the hotfixes ... no slipstreaming, installed vista and activated it and backed up to ghost image so i won't do clean installs ever

wtf man? Ya gotta be kiddin with a reply like that. LOL :blink: Thats not the idea of an unattended OS now is it?? I recomend you read the threads here more closely from now on.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

But all that appears to do is put the files in a placeholder and than run windows update on the local files once the system is up. Is real slipstreaming deprecated or am I missing something.

Thanks.

Hello sprack!

Could you explain how to verfiy, if the updates are slipstreamed or integrated only?

Regards,

Martin

i just use WUSA.EXE to install the hotfixes ... no slipstreaming, installed vista and activated it and backed up to ghost image so i won't do clean installs ever

wtf man? Ya gotta be kiddin with a reply like that. LOL :blink: Thats not the idea of an unattended OS now is it?? I recomend you read the threads here more closely from now on.

r u retarded dumbass? wusa.exe supports /quiet /norestart

f*** off noob :realmad:

r u retarded dumbass? wusa.exe supports /quiet /norestart

f*** off noob :realmad:

No need to be like that nOOb.

Still not relevant to the thread now is it? :whistle:

An article at: http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=6244&catid=1 describes the use of peimg.exe instead of Package Manager. I tried this method and it seems to work fine. Just mount your install.wim or custom captured image, expand your MSU's, add and install the cabinet files with peimg and commit changes.

You can even use wildcards with this tool to make life even easier and add a bunch of hotfixes at once!

In this way the QFE hotfixes are not placed in a cache folder but integrated in the image. They will not show up in the user's history of updates, but are listed in add/remove programs.

I don't know about any side effects using a WinPE tool like peimg.exe for a "full" Vista image though... Any comments on that are appreciated!

Edited by the unknown