looking for a good PCI IDE card for supporting dvd drive as a bootdevi

Hi:

Recently, I purchase an ASUS P5B-VM mobo, with only 1 ide port on-board.

I want to add my old ata device back to the new mobo. I add the 2 hds using the on-board ide. Now i want to add the 2 dvd drives back, with a PCI-IDE card.

Are there any good PCI-IDE card with good support with the dvd drive devices? I heard that PCI-IDE is not good at supporting dvd drives.

I want the dvd drive to be bootable.

Can anyone give me a suggestion of pci ide card?

The 2 optical drives that i used are Lite-on and Micro Advantage

Can any computer experts give me some suggestions.

I don't know of any problems with those adapters. Personally, I would get the adapters and put the HDD's on the SATA ports, then put the CD/DVD drive(s) on the PATA port.

Intel has decided to completely remove PATA support from ICH8 (southbridges) and on. The 7th onboard SATA connector, eSATA port and PATA port are all provided by a JMicron controller on the Asus P5B series motherboards (I have the P5B-E). If you do end up getting another controller I would recommend getting a PCIe controller instead of a PCI controller. Then move the drives to the addin board and put the CD/DVD(s) onboard. The reason I say this is because I know the onboard JMicron controller supports booting CD/DVD drives and it's one less feature you have to worry about when looking for the addin board.

I don't know of any problems with those adapters. Personally, I would get the adapters and put the HDD's on the SATA ports, then put the CD/DVD drive(s) on the PATA port.

Intel has decided to completely remove PATA support from ICH8 (southbridges) and on. The 7th onboard SATA connector, eSATA port and PATA port are all provided by a JMicron controller on the Asus P5B series motherboards (I have the P5B-E). If you do end up getting another controller I would recommend getting a PCIe controller instead of a PCI controller. Then move the drives to the addin board and put the CD/DVD(s) onboard. The reason I say this is because I know the onboard JMicron controller supports booting CD/DVD drives and it's one less feature you have to worry about when looking for the addin board.

ummm yes, that is what i will do later because i am kind of over budget by buying a good cpu and ram, seeking for speed to process information. Now, I only want to spend like 20 bucks more to make my old equipments work.

I will definately shift to sata in the future.

If I cant get the old dvd rom to boot, i will plug 1 pata to on-board and the other to dvd rom, in order to make it bootable.

Then the other 2 devices to the pci-ide card.

But now i want to hear some suggestions of good pci-ide cards. My goal is to make all the devices bootable.

Edited by bbmak