Wireless Network Router?

vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I am planning to buy a new Wireless Router. The one I have now is almost 6 Plus years old. It is a Linksys Brand. I know the new 802.11N is coming out this year. So can you guys Recommend me a Good Linksys Router (Wireless). I am a big fan of Linksys, so I want to stick with Linksys.

Just in your opinion, Is it worth to wait for the New 802.11N Models? So please help me out.

THX! :thumbup

P.S. Fusion :thumbup

It really depends on your needs. Do you need/want the speed of the N standard? Or are you interested in saving a bit of cash with the G standard? I'm still on a 802.11b wireless router, and it's working just fine for my internet and what not. I'd like to be able to transfer stuff through my network, but my router always crashes lol

As prx984 said, it all depends on what you expect from your network. If you plan on transferring big files over wireless LAN (and you have the money), then hell yeah, get the n-standard router. If it's only for internet and small transfers, then a g-standard router will serve you just fine. Out of curiosity, why do you want to change your router anyway?

The most popular Linksys is the WRT54GL as you can load many different kinds of open source firmwares onto it. A lot of people like the DD-WRT firmware, and I prefer it honestly.

You do not want to get a N based router. Avoid it until it becomes an official standard. Once it becomes a standard, then you can definitely get it. If you were to get a N based router, you're taking a gamble as they are constantly making changes to the series as they try to reach the standard. Just remember, what's out there now is already at least a month old or more. Being in the PRE or DRAFT stages, you are not working with a finalized product. So even if you do get a Pre/Draft N product, by the time they finalize the N series and make it a standard, many things will have changed and may not work with the hardware you got as Pre/Draft N.

I'd also vote for the WRT54GL if you want to stick with 802.11b, but I prefer Thibor over DD-WRT. My first impression of DD-WRT was not very good... it went half-dead on me in the space of 15 mins. After being off for another 6 hours, it booted enough for me to reflash thibor... :P

The reason I am changing my router is because it's 6+ years old. I have DSL Internet connection and sometimes I lose my connection every couple of hours or so. I did updated to the latest firmware, but I am really getting p***ed of losing my connection while I am DL or Surfing the web. Thats why I want to change my router.

The reason I am changing my router is because it's 6+ years old. I have DSL Internet connection and sometimes I lose my connection every couple of hours or so. I did updated to the latest firmware, but I am really getting p***ed of losing my connection while I am DL or Surfing the web. Thats why I want to change my router.

thats prolly the modem or ur isp. i hate dsl for that reason... i was so happy when i got rid of it. but i guess it cant hurt to try getting a new router.

thats prolly the modem or ur isp. i hate dsl for that reason... i was so happy when i got rid of it. but i guess it cant hurt to try getting a new router.

Yeah, good excuse to get new stuff :P