Warning about latest Roots Certificate Update

Tomcat76

There's a new version out of the Roots Certificate Update (rootsupd.exe). The link I have in my Windows 2000 update list downloads a new file, but this one can't be extracted from DOS. So don't use it.

I'm currently testing the one that Windows Update is downloading (with a GUID in the file name) on Windows XP. This one CAN be extracted from DOS.

rootsupd_963ec3df48991128f4edd42c66f40f144720f759.exe

Later, I'll test it on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 as well.

The one for 2K (with the GUID number) is working on Win2K. I updated the dynamic Win2K list.

...but are yet to update your signature. :D

It's optional, just like the one for Win2K.

OK, but are you planning to include it on your Windows XP list? I guess my question is 'does it appear on Windows Update?' You said Windows Update downloads a certain version, but I've never seen it on there. Are you referring to the Update Catalog?

...but are yet to update your signature. :D
Done.
OK, but are you planning to include it on your Windows XP list?
Yes.
I guess my question is 'does it appear on Windows Update?'
It does for me.
You said Windows Update downloads a certain version, but I've never seen it on there. Are you referring to the Update Catalog?
No; the normal Windows Update site. Edited by Tomcat76

• 2 weeks later...

You're right. The one I'm linking to now is the same as the old one I had.

There is a new version (containing binaries from Dec 2006 and Jan 2007) for Win2K which is downloadable from the link I USED to have in my hotfix list, but that one can't be extracted from DOS as I pointed out in the initial post. Luckily, Windows Update doesn't ask for it.

I suppose I didn't bother or forgot to check the file dates in the 2K roots update I'm linking to now...