PIO Mode due to... video card?

So here's something for people to scratch their heads over...

I recently got my hands on a nVidia Ti4200 that I was planning on using to upgrade my old system (from a RIVA TNT2) . After installing it, I noticed a decrease in performance.

After quite a bit of digging, I realized that I was suffering from the dreaded PIO Mode problem... I tried to do the whole thing of uninstalling the IDE Controllers, setting that registry entry to reset the error count, etc etc etc. No dice. I checked in BIOS, but all settings were correct. Tried changing some settings - no dice.

Swapping the old card back into the system made the drive run at UDMA-4 (the max of this mobo). :wacko:

I can't really figure out why this is the case. Could it be a lack of power for the AGP 4x slot? The PSU checks out, and isn't running anywhere near it's limits (drawing about 90W from a 300W PSU). MBM is showing my 12V as pretty high (12.7), but I'm going to check the BIOS when I get home (I trust BIOS more than software).

Problem with VIA chipsets for PIII and Athlon.

I had the same problems with a FX5200 few years ago. Only thing you can do is to reinstall the 4 in 1 drivers from VIA, if that doesn´t help remove the controllers in your hardware list and restart you computer...

Let us know what you found out ;).

Well that was dumb of me... at least I think I have the problem fixed... AGP Aperture size was set to 64MB... this is a 128MB card... :lol:

I've set it to 256MB now - and both drives are running in UDMA. :)

@puntoMX - you're right - it's a VIA chipset. It's the ASUS CUV4X motherboard with a PIII 700 and 1.5GB of PC133 (I know - totally lobsided).

I'll let you guys know how Mechwarrior III goes... :D