Blu-Ray DRM Cracked too

CoffeeFiend

when i heard about this a day or two ago I though it was just rumored because the protection is similar to HD DVD which was 'cracked' by muslix64.

BTW the code (BackupBluRayv021) is technically not beta, but alpha :)

http://homeentertainment.engadget.com/2007...ay-cracked-too/

It's still early on to tell whether this is actually true, but HD DVD cracker muslix64 is back, and with the help of another anti-DRM cracker, Janvitos, claims to have also broken the Blu-ray's implementation of AACS. Although their protection does not yet account for BD+ copy-protection, they claim to have been able to implement the same key-grabbing known-plaintext attack as muslix64 used to crack HD DVD in order to successfully to crack Blu-ray without even using a disc or drive (apparently they just used a raw encrypted data file and nothing more). Unfortunately they haven't yet posted code for us to test this out, so we'll have to take their word for it for the time being.

This guy wasted 200 hundred extra dollars to crack blu-ray on there computer when it was already cracked on PS3?

Perhaps you mean cracked as in "people used it to dump ISOs of Blu-Ray discs" which is NOT the same thing AT ALL. The DRM (used by movies i.e. AACS) for Blu-Ray wasn't broken before. This is new.

Besides, I'd doubt most people would want to buy a very expensive gaming console just to backup movies. And like the article DigeratiPrime quoted, they worked from a raw data file, so no idea where you get that 200$ figure from (AFAIK Blu-Ray drives are FAR more expensive than that! A BWU100A drive is like 700$+!)

long live vhs.lol.seem like a format just to get more dvd space and allow hd viewing whats next?.sure hd nice but joe user at home rent a dvd at the quickie mart hits play eats popcorn i dont think they care about blueray just watch movie enuff say.

I knew this would happen... :)

It was just a matter of time really. Without hardware-based DRM it's pretty much impossible to make something totally secure (and even then...) The system has to have the decryption keys to play it in the first place, so it was pretty much guaranteed to happen. Pretty much all DRM systems end up being hacked anyways (CSS for DVDs, Windows Media DRM was broken too, Apple's FairPlay too, etc).

long live vhs.lol.seem like a format just to get more dvd space and allow hd viewing whats next?.sure hd nice but joe user at home rent a dvd at the quickie mart hits play eats popcorn i dont think they care about blueray just watch movie enuff say.

If you're happy with VHS quality... I haven't had a VCR for about 10 years. Of course the format is just to have more space for HD (that's the whole point of it). People are buying HDTVs, and they want HD contents.

Ludwig Von Cookie Koopa: No idea what you're talking about here. You mention they wasted 200$ (on something you don't mention), even though the guy worked from files (total of 0$ spent). And then you're talking about something that was released which cost 600$ (PS3 perhaps?), which still doesn't explain how they wasted 200$ in any way. The guy who cracked it didn't have to spend anything at all, how could he have wasted 200$?

Edited by crahak

• 3 weeks later...

Update: both formats (HD DVD and Blu-Ray) are now TOTALLY cracked! Not just volume key extraction and such like before (Muslix64's method), this is the real thing now! They've found the processing keys and all. Game over for AACS. Expect new backup/ripping tools and utilities soon...

Article on BoingBoing (originally from Doom9's forums here)

Oh, and seemingly AnyDVD HD (for HD DVDs) is already available (beta here)

Well, the encrytion algo itself (AACS) isn't broken, but the current implementation pretty much is.

The ONLY thing they can do about this is revoke the keys. But that means that the player won't be able to play anything new, and will force tens of thousands of people to upgrade (at like 100mb or so for PowerDVD, the dialup folks won't like this) -- repeatedly. And it won't accomplish anything besides annoy the hell out of their paying customers: we can easily grab the new keys in the same way off pretty much any player. Not only you can use the same old method, but you could use a disc that's already "opened" on the new player, find where the expected key is in memory, put new disc in, read new key in the same spot... They may revoke the keys (very annoying), but there's nothing they can do against these methods. They're just not going to manage to hide their keys much better (gotta have 'em in memory somewhere to decrypt the disc as you play it). And every single time a new key is leaked, all the content published until that point is totally open (only future releases protected). Pretty hard to secure a system where you're handed the content you're not supposed to be able to read along with the decryption keys. And given enough keys, they might even be able to brute force the root key too (ala distributed.net)...

And as more tools (using other methods) are coming out like AnyDVD HD it'll only get harder for them. Just look at how often AnyDVD is updated for so many pointless DVD protections (ARccOS, RipGuard, FluxDVD, Puppetlock, ...) They've cracked 'em all anyways. Once the cat's out the bag...

So yeah, pretty much game over for them, even though AACS itself wasn't broken.

DRM should be made illegal (it actually is, in my opinion, as it eliminates the right of fair use). Let's all run for Congress and ban it :)

Some DRM is already being declared illegal in some places. For example, FairPlay in Norway -- I wish more countries did that! FairPlay protected stuff doesn't work on anything we use (software or hardware), and will only work on software/hardware from a single vendor -- perhaps the most closed and worst DRM ever. I sure ain't moving to the USA to run for congress though ;)

But with the RIAA/MPAA and such powerful rackets conglomerates lobbying politicians and all that (who even manage to get torrent sites raided - against the law - in other countries), it's not going anywhere. If anything I'd only expect more things like it to restrict your rights further (DMCA, Broadcast Flag, futher extensions of copyrights, software patents and all that)...

In other news, Macrovision says "DRM increases not decreases consumer value"... They even sound like they believe what they're saying :lol:

Edit: This just keeps getting better and better. WinDVD 8 Device Key found!

Edited by crahak