Upgrading To Core 2 Duo Need some advice

glent

Hi, Im currently looking to upgrade my current system

AMD 3700+

2 GIG 4x512 PC4000 DDR Ram (DDR1)

Gigabyte mobo

6600GT PCI

Im getting the Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 purely becasuse the price and the fact almost all of them overclocking to 3gig + and out performing x6800

Being and AMD guy for many years im struggling to find a motherboard to take this CPU and let me use my current ram until I can upgrade, some searching on google told me that some chipset will allow use of both DDR and DDR2 (naturally not at the same time) ;). I need a solid board with overclocking potential

Yes I've used AMD for 8 years and NO I dont want another AMD system so please no links to benchmarks or reviews :whistle:

Thnx In advance please no flames :unsure:

To use your current ram and video a cheap and quick solution is the Asus P5PE-VM

This MB can be had for 30 Pounds but It only has 2 RAM slots and 3 PCI slots. URL

I had a system crash and couldnt find a replacement CPU. So i bought a POS motherboard and the same CPU you mention. Wish i got the motherboard i recommend to you just for the overclocking ability.

I'm running Vista 64bit on a similar setup with 2x512 DDR. Seems OK for the money i spent.

shark

shark-vista with 1gig of ram? ouch.

lol - its a temporary setup. My computer is my source of income. I'm employed over the internet as a repackager for 2 high profile companies who remain nameless to avoid conflicts of interest.

I couldnt aford buying a proper MB / DDR2 RAM / PCI-Express video. (along with the Core-2 Duo)

My old board had 512x4 DDR / nVidea AGP / P4 - 2.4 <-- CPU died from a clogged fan. The Core-2 Duo was cheaper than a replacement P4 CPU. So i bought a similar board to the one I cite above, threw in my ram and video, and was good to go. After I finnish paying for xmas, I'll get some better hardware.

shark

So, that ASUS board has AGP...

As far as I know you need to switch to DDR2 to keep the PCI-E. Any other option you don’t have when you OC or you keep it with AMD and just upgrade it to an X2 if you are on a budget.

Just my 2 cents ;).