Problem with HFSLIP

geoil

I have a problem with HFSLIP. I am steel using Windows 2000 and I want to create a fully slipstreamed Windows 2000 with MP9, IE6 and DX9c exactly like in the guide from http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html. I have done everything exactly how is described in the guide, for beginners. When I run TommyP's HFSLIP file, i get a message "You do not have MAKECAB.EXE" :( . I allready have in HFTOOLS the files extracted form Cabsdk.exe downloaded from the Microsoft. Why I still get this message? Please help me. Excuse my bad english, but i am from Romania :( .

This is a major problem. Because Windows 2000 and Windows XP shall include it!

I'm afraid that your copy of Windows 2000 is messed up or Microsoft never included it with non-English versions.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

HFSLIP no longer checks for MAKECAB in the HFTOOLS folder. Please copy it to your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
hi S-M! i might have missed this one ... could you kindly quote where this was discussed? my apologies but i couldn't find any recent thread about it ... thanks! ;) Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Kiki

This functionality was removed quite a few months ago. A few people complained about how bloaty the script was becoming, and that's when some extras were moved into HFSPLUG1 (now obsolete). At some point later, I believe MAKECAB and EXPAND could no longer go into HFTOOLS and had to be put in the SYSTEM32 directory.

I can't remember having makecab in HFTOOLS ever since, because it is part of Windows (or I could have removed it a long time ago)... for Windows 2000, make sure it is in WINNT\SYSTEM32 folder and copy it over in it if not, as mentioned by this HFSLIP Guide for Windows 2000 under PREREQUISITES section... or you can check out the CMD file itself and you can see that HFSLIP checks for the existence of MAKECAB in the SYSTEM32 folder and not in HFTOOLS... :)

Edited by glentium

hi glentium! thanks for this ... the reason i asked was because i couldn't recall any thorough discussion about makecab ... hell, i can't even recall if i had this somewhere in any of the HF directories except for the addon i tried to slipstream (i'm looking at my old HFLOG.INIs to cross-validate :) ... got it ... what i had were MSICabExtract.exe in HFTOOLS & Microsoft MakeCab v1.00.0601 in HFAAO) ... search produced me the ff only relevant to the current discussion:

The "% done" progress indicator comes with the MAKECAB utility (part of Windows) which HFSLIP uses to compress the files.
I don't know... I never used another version than the one that comes with Windows... :)

U don't understand or I did not say this....my Windows 2000 is original and not cracked or something else...and in System32 allready exist makecab.exe. Even so, I downloaded again the tool and I copyit over the old makecab.exe and still I got the same message. That is my problem. :D I put the makecab.exe allmost in every file in the PC...WINNT\System, WINNT\System32, HFSLIP...and in any place you want..you named..and still the same message.. :((..I do not under stand....

If you have the right version of MAKECAB and have it in the correct folder, I can only think for you to check the following things...

(1) You deleted any temporary folders created by the HFSLIP run process (i.e. SOURCESS, WORK, TEMP, etc.).

(2) You are running a recent version of HFSLIP (the current one is HFSLIP 1.2.2).

(3) Go to the command prompt, run the following command, and report the result.

ECHO %WINDIR%

:) Hope this solves something.

If you have the right version of MAKECAB and have it in the correct folder, I can only think for you to check the following things...

(1) You deleted any temporary folders created by the HFSLIP run process (i.e. SOURCESS, WORK, TEMP, etc.).

(2) You are running a recent version of HFSLIP (the current one is HFSLIP 1.2.2).

(3) Go to the command prompt, run the following command, and report the result.

I vahe the right version of makecab.exe and he is in the corect folder (WINNT\system32)...and...

(1) I did not delete anything created by the HFSLIP run process...

(2) YES!!! I am runing the current version of HFSLIP - HFSLIP 1.2.2 --- Why? Is this a problem??????

(3) Result is %SystemRoot% and the result of command prompt of echo that is C:\WINNT

:(

Ohhh yeahhh !! :) Well it is done. The 305 line of the .cmd program is written:

FOR %%I IN (MAKECAB FINDSTR EXPAND XCOPY) DO IF NOT EXIST %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\%%I.EXE (ECHO YOU DO NOT HAVE %%I.EXE&PAUSE&EXIT)

and the problem is

...i think...he could not find the path of WINNT in Win2K....I replace %WINDIR% width %SystemRoot% and now it is working perfectly. This is the real answer of my problem?? Well It's Working For Me.

I see! Your version of Windows doesn't seem to have the proper environment variable settings (%WINDIR% should produce the same result as %SystemRoot%, not that exact string; the command prompt cannot recursively read variables).

I think maybe Tomcat76 should change it to %SystemRoot%, or you should change somehow change the specification for %WINDIR% in your environment variable settings (System Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables).