Start Menu question

skizo

Is there a way to have your Start Menu not show recent programs? I don't just mean the list, but I want to disable the entire thing so that it looks like so:

miniprogramsuw6.th.jpg

(The above is only a Photoshop'd image of what I want)

I think he wants to turn off all the icons such as "My Computer, My Documents, etc" and then remove that side of the start menu. Kind of like have a cross between the classic menu and the new start menu.

Right-click on taskbar ---> properties ---> start menu ---> customize ---> advanced, remove the tick on the box reading "Highlight newly installed programs"

Has nothing to do with my question. :blink:

I think he wants to turn off all the icons such as "My Computer, My Documents, etc" and then remove that side of the start menu. Kind of like have a cross between the classic menu and the new start menu.

No. I can't make it any clearer than my original post. What's not to understand? :unsure:

Edited by skizo

No. I can't make it any clearer than my original post.
Sure you could have. If you would have been more clear you would have had your answer by now. The subject line of your post was vague and didn't adhere to the posting guidelines of this forum. Since you asked about recent Programs, the answer you got from nitroshift was correct. I'm still not 100% sure what you want to do... maybe recent Documents? That's easily removed like most other things on the Start Menu.

I believe he's talking about the recent programs list that shows up, by default, under the internet and email icons on the left side of the taskbar. In the start menu's configuration options in the taskbar's properties, you can set the number of items to show to 0 to disable any new icons from showing up, but you have to click the "clear the list" button in the taskpar properties to get the icons to all go away at once (you could right-click each of them and select the remove listing option as well).

Ok, I see what's going on now. He wants to disable the left half of the start menu, not the right half.

Do you want to completely disable it and not even have that pane show up? Or just disable it to prevent it from logging your recently opened programs? If the latter is true, then turn the "Number of Programs on the Start Menu" Options down to 0 and put all of your own programs in there.

No. I can't make it any clearer than my original post.
Sure you could have. If you would have been more clear you would have had your answer by now. The subject line of your post was vague and didn't adhere to the posting guidelines of this forum. Since you asked about recent Programs, the answer you got from nitroshift was correct. I'm still not 100% sure what you want to do... maybe recent Documents? That's easily removed like most other things on the Start Menu.

1. nitroshift's post was waaay off base. I stated nothing about not wanting my new programs highlighted. :blink:

2. I even posted a picture of what I want. How can you not know what I'm talking about when I say, I want to disable the entire thing so that it looks like so: [insert my picture that shows exactly what I'm try to do].

3. My topic title wasn't vague. I'm asking a question about my Start Menu, hence the title.

I believe he's talking about the recent programs list that shows up, by default, under the internet and email icons on the left side of the taskbar. In the start menu's configuration options in the taskbar's properties, you can set the number of items to show to 0 to disable any new icons from showing up, but you have to click the "clear the list" button in the taskpar properties to get the icons to all go away at once (you could right-click each of them and select the remove listing option as well).

No.

Or just disable it to prevent it from logging your recently opened programs? If the latter is true, then turn the "Number of Programs on the Start Menu" Options down to 0 and put all of your own programs in there.
No.
Do you want to completely disable it and not even have that pane show up?

Yes. Just like the picture shows. For a perfect, and complete description that describes everything, go here.

Edited by skizo

Download the REG file attached, execute it and import it into your registry. Cheers. :hello:

For future reference, please try Google first.

I did try Google first, but to no avail.

I've also already tried that registry addition and it does not remove the Recent Programs menu, it simply stops adding programs to it.

For future reference, please try reading the question first.

I've also already tried that registry addition and it does not remove the Recent Programs menu, it simply stops adding programs to it.

Did you even look at what the registry file contains? I tested it myself before I posted it for you and it does work. It both stops entries from being added and hides "Documents" from the Start Menu altogether.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoRecentDocsMenu"=dword:00000001
"NoRecentDocsHistory"=dword:00000001

No Menu, No History. Kill two birds with one stone.

Edited by Jeremy

Did you even look at what the registry file contains? I tested it myself before I posted it for you and it does work. It both stops entries from being added and hides "Documents" from the Start Menu altogether.

Are you really this obtuse?

It both stops entries from being added and hides "Documents" from the Start Menu altogether.
Why would I care about either one of these? How do they relate to my question? They don't.
"NoRecentDocsMenu"=dword:00000001

This stops the 'Recent Documents' folder from appearing in the Start Menu items.

"NoRecentDocsHistory"=dword:00000001

This is related to the same folder, only now it still appears, but your recent documents will no longer appear inside of it.

As I've said multiple times, I'm asking about the 'Recent Programs' listing, not the 'Recent Documents' listing.

Also, two members have stated already that they don't believe it can be done. I'm now thinking the same. I believe the only way to do it is in the coding of the visual style itself.

Edited by skizo