Watercooling

ethanmcf

Ethanmcf has the DFI Lanparty NF4 ultra (S939), and he wants to chance his chipset cooler as well.

I tried to help him out on MSN but to water-cool all will be around 400 US$ and it’s not something a beginner will do in one day :P.

His case has just an 8cm fan in the back, no space for more, and he uses a lot of lights in his case. So his problem is that his SLI system is getting too hot. I advised him a Ccoolermaster Stacker case but he says it’s ugly…

well yea the back of my case hold ONE fan, but i got a total of 6 8CM Fans in the system all to together, and i dont like coolermaster,

one yes they are ugly, and 2, when in the past i have used them, they have been made of steel, which isnt exactly the best way to extract heat through the case lol :) So i liked the massive Thermaltake case, it has the support to hold 2 Motherboards :D lol, i have forgoten its name,

and that is about £150 for the case,

but that will help hair flow.

i do want watercooling, but to be honest im scared, and its alot of money to lose if something goes wrong

Thanks Ethan :)

well just think about it some more. im just letting you know that air is a choice, but water will offer much more performance. and ur mobo and mine are virtually identically, i think physically they are the exact same, but urs has sli enabled and mine doesnt.

As others have said before, watercooling for an entire system is a bit more expensive than 150£/200$.

I tried watercooling once, but I'm not sure if I'll do it again. I had to replace almost everything (Mainboard, Graphics card, Audio card, NIC, PSU) due to a tiny leak in the chipset-block, only because I had an Asetek Waterchill and replaced the pump with a more powerful and silent one (it did work very well for a few days though). The experience was quite expensive for me to say the least (watercooling kit+extra pump+parts replacement).

The cooling performance was a bit better, but nothing extreme.

I'm not saying you should not get watercooling, but think about it thoroughly before making the decision. If you decide to buy it then make sure to get high quality components and test it for a few days to discover any leaks.

When I build a water-cool-system I test it outside the case for a few days, to make sure it works 100%. Never had a problem with leaks or so (just use good hose-clips), only thing I’m always worried about is that the pump stops working...

When I build a water-cool-system I test it outside the case for a few days, to make sure it works 100%. Never had a problem with leaks or so (just use good hose-clips), only thing I’m always worried about is that the pump stops working...

In my case there was no problem with the hose-clips, just a weakness where the black and see-through parts on the chipset-block meet.

Depending on the loudness of the pump you may/will hear if it stops working when you're using the comp.

i dont know what im going to do, im upgrading my PC in the newxt few days, so im going to see how it runs with mroe performnace parts, and if its still hot, then i might invest into water cooling, but as someone has already told me that they screwed their pc due to water cooling it does make me more nervous lol :(.

So i dont know ..

i seen the links you guys have posted and they all look really cool, and the air cooling ones, and not that much in price either.

So i was pleased with that,

but will the CPU fan you showed me cool my CPU when overcloked ? :)

Thanks

Ethan

@puntoMX: I don't know what it's called (somewhere at the bottom of the pipe by the glas, don't know exactly where it is), but the leak happened because the block couldn't handle the more powerful (higher pressure) pump.

@ethanmcf: A good air cooling will cool your CPU very well even when overclocked. Just don't expect any miracles from either air- or watercooling, for that you’ll need phase-change, dryice or LN2.

You don't have to use watercooling for all components, using it only for the hottest ones (GPU and/or CPU) will save you some cash and make it a bit easier to assemble.

SATA is recommended in most cases since IDE is getting obsolete and the SATA cables are thinner.

Edit: I saw this link on the subject and thought it would be appropriate to post it.

Edited by DL.

thanks, ive seen the post and it seems to be interesting, im not expecting Miracles, its just i do want to over clock, and there is no way i can do it with what ive currently got lol, but its SATA2 is that a problem, not SATA1,

Thanks Guys

Ethan :D