Installing Internet Explorer 6 with SP1 on Windows XP with SP2

Ascii2

Found this :

Internet Explorer 6 SP1 is included with Windows XP SP1 and Windows XP SP2. If Windows XP SP1 or Windows XP SP2 is installed on your computer, you do not have to download and install Internet Explorer 6 SP1

on: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/318378

In other words, install SP2 for XP and you will automatically have installed IE6 with its sp1

Windows XP with Service Pack 2 updates Internet Explorer 6 (or 6 with Service Pack 1) to Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 2.

I do not want the latest version of Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP.

You could also try this:

[from www.microsoft.com]

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.

Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.

So, carry out the reg fix. Then Install IE6sp1. Might work. No gaurantees, though.

Edited by vinodh

Install IE7 and forget IE6 exists. What you want to do is irrelevant, IE7 is substantially more secure than IE6, anybody running IE6 needs to get their head from their backside and breathe a lung full of reality :)

And if you dislike IE7 that much, go run FireFox, but please upgrade to IE7 if you care about your PC's security.

Install IE7 and forget IE6 exists. What you want to do is irrelevant
It is not irrelevant. I am the topic starter. What I want and have started a thread about is precisely of relevance.

I find this entire topic irrelevant. I don't know how someone could spend massive amounts of time going out of their way to ensure that they only have this particular version of that DLL from that update... it's a waste of time. Why are you doing it?

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that he's got some application that fails to run after installing XP SP2, and it's a web-based app.
Not quite, but somewhat close. Some documents fail to be fuction with Internet Explorer with Service Pack 2. However that is not the primary reason. Edited by Ascii2