Script Error

I am getting an Internet Explorer Script Error that is driving me crazy.

I use WPI like this:

I have Ghost images that I load and first off the machines run through sysprep to install drivers for hardware, join the domain, etc.

Then at the first login WPI runs (RunOnceEx) from the hard drive. You choose what you want installed and then the last three commands are Convert (to NTFS) Cleanup (removes the install directory that holds the install packages) and Reboot (reboot calls to shutdown.exe but not the one that comes with XP)

After the reboot it should come up and just load the desktop. This setup has worked for a long time (way back to WPI 4.3 with minor tweaking). Now instead of loading the desktop WPI comes back up but I get the script error with this text:

Line: 457

Char: 2

Error: Object Expected

Code: 0

URL: file://c:\winnt\system32\tools\wpi\common\installer.hta

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

So you wrote your own Reboot script that you enter as an application that you run at the end of installations? If that is the case, the easiest way around that is to call the reboot script or whatever you have as the execute after script. You can add this by going to the tools tab in options. This will allow the resume WPI functionality to disable before you reboot.

If that is not the case you have, here is a technical explanation of what is happening. WPI has resume after reboot functionality built into it to deal with installs that require a reboot. A RunOnceEx registry key is created each time you begin an installation. This key is not removed until the installation is complete. If you reboot during the middle of an installation, Installer.hta will begin after logon.

Hello there,

I've the same script error as 'parkerkane' , but I get that error every time wpi restarts when I use the build-in reboot from WPI.

Also after the reboot WPI doesn't restart itselfs, I have to do that manually and then when it says that WPI installation is not

complete yet I choose yes and then I get the same error.

regel 457

teken 2

fout: object wordt verwacht

code: 0

URL: file://D:/WPI/Common/Installer.hta?

RI=true&Theme=Glossy&PAI=false

And why is WPI not restaring automatically?

Any solution for this?

Thanx and regards, DJPro

Here are my files.

All righty, then. I included the shutdown file that I have been using. (Can't remember where I got it from)

Zorphnog, thanks for the explanation. That would explain part of the problem. I did try the included reboot commands but they weren't working the way I wanted them to. Maybe I just have to break down and figure it out.

I have it working but I would really like to be using the newer version.

Thanks for your help so far.

config.js

REBOOT.CMD

CLEANUP.CMD

shutdown.exe

Zorphnog, I tried what you suggested (took the reboot command out and changed it in the Tools to an Execute After) but it still opened WPI after the reboot and gave me the script error. Do you have any other ideas I could try?

Edited by parkerkane

After looking at it further, I misinformed you about execute after. The execute after executes before the registry is reset so that is why you got the same error. The only alternative I can think of is to reset the registry in a script so that WPI will not resume on reboot. You can reset the registry keys during your reboot script since you know that it will be the last configuration item to run. Here are the entries you need to modify:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WPI]

Set ResumeInstall = 0

Delete LastExec

Delete CurrentInstall

Delete LastTopLine

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\001]

Delete entire key

You may want to bring up a feature request for v5.7 that allows you to turn off the reboot functionality.

Edited by zorphnog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have similar problem (the same error message). When i use %reboot% (to install sptd drivers or simple %reboot% in sample config ) ... system reboots ok then continue installing software and after the last program is installed it gives me this error message. I tried to use this reg file to remove wpi from registry

Hi, me too

When I call the %reboot% command, WPI reboot continue with the next entry to instal and go on.

But when the last entry is done, I get the same error ??

Is there any workaround ??