cannot unmount USB drive

kz26

Running WinXP MCE 2005 with system specs in sig. I have a PNY 128MB Attache USB 2.0 flash drive that I use for my personal work. I can mount/access/write the drive just fine. However, I cannot unmount the drive - every time I try to safely remove and unmount it, it gives me this error: "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now." This happens every time.

I am currently using a Belkin USB keyboard and a Microsoft Basic Optical USB mouse.

Got any tips on how to fix this Does it have anything to do with my USB keyboard and mouse?

I googled Unlocker, got it, and found out that Diskeeper was keeping an auto-defragment lock on the drive. After disabling Diskeeper, though, it still won't unmount even though Unlocker says there are no more handles. What now?

Edited by kz26

I really don't see the purpose of defragmenting flash drives, since it's solid state storage and not a platter spinning and being read from by a mechanical arm.

Anyway, normally the Safely Remove Hardware applet should control the USB devices as far as mounting and unmounting go. Have you tried Googling "USB device won't unmount" or something?

Yeah, I wasn't planning to defrag my flash drive - somehow Diskeeper automatically set the drive to defragment. Anyway, I think I've fixed the problem. After one more dirty removal and reinserting the drive, I can now unmount it. THanks for your help and also introducing me to Unlocker.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to defrag my flash drive - somehow Diskeeper automatically set the drive to defragment. Anyway, I think I've fixed the problem. After one more dirty removal and reinserting the drive, I can now unmount it. THanks for your help and also introducing me to Unlocker.

No problem, kz26. It really is a handy program! :)