Visual Effects

Hello,

The only material I can find on doing this is here:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]
"VisualFXSetting"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\AnimateMinMax]
"DefaultApplied"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ComboBoxAnimation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\CursorShadow]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DragFullWindows]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DropShadow]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\FontSmoothing]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListBoxSmoothScrolling]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewAlphaSelect]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewShadow]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewWatermark]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\MenuAnimation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\SelectionFade]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TaskbarAnimations]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\Themes]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TooltipAnimation]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]

And none of the above work.

Does anyone have some updated tweaks that allow you set the visual effects one by one?

Thanks.

laze.

Your regtweaks works only if they're applied during cmdlines.txt.

If post-install, use SetVisualEffects.exe from SMC1979 ( http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30078 )

( I have attached the program because I havn't found original location in the board )

You can make a settings.ini with your settings inside and run it in a command line

effects /silent

effects.exe

Hi Sonic,

Thank you for your reply.

My installation initially logs in as Administrator, a cleanup.bat is ran and the system is rebooted, at which point it auto logs in as User.

If i run the effects.exe from cleanup.bat, the settings will not be applied to the User account when I reboot, will they? And I don't want to add them to a batch file in the User's startup folder, because then I'd need to add a second reboot before they took.

I'm happy to apply the tweaks through cmdlines.txt (you mean runonceex, right?) but what are the disable/enable values for those I've listed if it's impossible to test them once Windows has been installed.

laze.

Edited by just_laze

effects.exe is only for current user logged.

If you want to define visual efffects for all users you must use cmdlines.txt.

Notes concerning cmdlines.txt -> http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/14/

For me in cmdlines.txt, I have

[Commands]
regedit /s effects.reg

and my effects.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Affichage
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]
"VisualFXSetting"=dword:00000003
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"SmoothScroll"=dword:00000000
"UserPreferencesMask"=hex:b0,12,03,80
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\AnimateMinMax]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ComboBoxAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\CursorShadow]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DragFullWindows]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\DropShadow]
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\FontSmoothing]
"DefaultByFontTest"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListBoxSmoothScrolling]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewAlphaSelect]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewShadow]
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ListviewWatermark]
"DefaultByFontTest"=dword:00000000
"MinimumMEM"=dword:00000000
"MinimumCPU"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\MenuAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\SelectionFade]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TaskbarAnimations]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\Themes]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TooltipAnimation]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\WebView]

Hi,

The effects I'd like to apply are:

justlaze-visual_effects.jpg

Your registry file would be perfect if it included/excluded the above.

If you have time, could you modify it and re-post purely for my selfish benefit, heh?

laze.

Edited by just_laze

I like Sonic's method, wish I had thought of it myself earlier :rolleyes: . As a side contribution to this discussion, I rely on AutoIt and use this modifiable script after first logon to adjust the visuals:

TraySetToolTip(" Unattended installation is active . . . ")
TrayTip('Unattended Installation', 'Adjusting visual settings . . . please wait . . .', 0, 1)
Sleep(2000)
Send("#r")
WinWaitActive("Run")
Send("sysdm.cpl{Enter}")
WinWaitActive("System Properties")
Send("{TAB 3}")
Send("{RIGHT 3}")
Send("!s")
WinWaitActive("Performance Options")
Sleep(2000)
ControlClick("Performance Options", "", "Button3")
Sleep(500)
;Use visual styles on windows and buttons
ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Space}')
Sleep(500)
;Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop
ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up}{Space}')
Sleep(500)
;Use common tasks in folders
ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 2}{Space}')
Sleep(500)
;Use a background image for each folder type
;ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 3}{Space}')
;Sleep(500)
;Smooth edges of screen fonts
;ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 5}{Space}')
;Sleep(500)
;Show windows contents while dragging
ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 8}{Space}')
Sleep(500)
;Show translucent selection rectangle
;ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 9}{Space}')
;Sleep(500)
;Show shadows under mouse pointer
ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 10}{Space}')
Sleep(500)
;Show shadows under menus
;ControlSend ('Performance Options','Tree1','SysTreeView321','{End}{Up 11}{Space}')
;Sleep(500)
Send("{ENTER}")
WinWaitActive("System Properties")
Send("{ENTER}")
TrayTip("clear tip","",0);clear tray icon balloon tip

I expect GunSmokingMan will be along soon with a .vbs script as well?

Hi gugutz,

I'm not, only because I'm at the 'testing' stage but eventually I will - yes.

I don't actually understand what values I need to change in order to enable/disable certain tweaks. The example I posted was taken from another source and is not my own.

Can someone please explain the values, 1 = enabled? 0 disabled? That would be my best guess, but why do certain visual settings have more than one value in the example I've used?

I like Sonic's method as his tweaks are applied to the local machine, meaning they can be set at any point and tested too but it isn't 'quite' what I'm looking for and needs tweaking slightly, although I wouldn't know how.

laze.

• 6 months later...

In Polish version of WinXP the options are in the diffrent order. I'm testing my new concept:

Run("rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL sysdm.cpl,,3")
WinWaitActive("","OK")
Send("{SPACE}")
WinWaitActive("","OK")
ControlClick("", "","Button3")
Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{DOWN}{SPACE}")
Send("{TAB}{SPACE}")
WinWaitActive("","OK")
Send("{ESC}")

PS: The command

Run("rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL sysdm.cpl,,3")

is the fastest way to get System propetries(Advenced tab)

Edited by thomas.night