KB816093 coming up as an update Windows XP SP2

sabregreen

For some reason, since I updated my slipstreamed xp disc with the newest version of hfslip this month, windows update is complaining that I need KB816093. I know this should not apply to windows xp pro sp2. When I try to install it, it errors out saying that there has to be an existing install of the microsoft virtual machine. Why could this be ? Thanks.

Nope, All I have is the windows updates direct x wmp11 ie7 java6 adobereader8 and microsoft office 2003 on my disc.

I had an integrated install of this same xp disc that didnt come up with this update on windows update. The update has only came up with I used hfsilp.

The update has only came up with I used hfsilp.
... not sure about this assumption ... but did you use nLite for instance in creating your earlier build? this might have been the case, especially if you removed some components affecting KB816093, specifically Microsoft Java runtime ... how about your Java6 (add-on perhaps)? ;)

Haven't used Java 1.6 yet. The last one I used was a silent installer for 1.5.0_10, though I've no idea where that was supposed to have been made of (the last from the 1.5 series on Sun's site is _09).

Your problem is related to Java so that might be the culprit...

Dumb question (sorry I have to ask), are you sure that your SP2 is really sp2? Dumb Q #2, are you installing any java updates? Maybe try installing a barebones non-HFSLIPped SP2 and see if you get that update.

Also, can you open a dos box (start/run/cmd) and type in JVIEW. If you see an error, then you don't have java. If you see some other text, please post the version of of java listed in the window.

If it means anything, I think you can modify sysoc.inf to get rid of msjava.

Hi,

Having the MS JVM installed is not really that big a deal.

A small number of web sites insist that you use it however most will work with either.

You are better off using the latest release of the Sun JVM where possible to keep the number of security issues to a minimum.

Ensure that IE is not set to use the MS JVM but the Sun one in Internet Options.

Kind Regards

Simon

Here is the txtsetup.sif file.

I typed in jview and I get an error. I have the Sun java installed, version 1.6. It shows up in internet explorer and in add/remove programs.

How can you edit the sysoc.inf to get rid of java ?

My source is an xp sp2 source. Its a volume licensed version or corporate version. I would slipstream service pack 1a first then 2 but I don't have the original original source anymore. I just have the original source slipstreamed with service pack 2.

Thanks for all the help!

TXTSETUP.7z

I've re-slipstreamed my source to make sure it was a bare source and remade my image and I'm still getting this update. I also added in a registry tweak to remove HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AdvancedOptions\Java VM and the folder java in the microsoft folder. These are supposedly the files for the Microsoft JVM. In the java folder there is no files however so it shouldn't be doing anything. There is now jview.exe or wjview.exe in the windows folders either. These were the only traces of the Microsoft JVM that I could find. However, the update still comes up on windows update. Any help would be appreciated.